Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: capacitor blew up

Default capacitor blew up

Hello everyone, I was testing things for intial start up this afternoon, when we had the master on, and heard a few pops. I shut of the master switch to find out that the 22,000 uf capacitor blew the back off and I had oil running down the back of the firewall. I had it wired with one lead going to ground and the other to the R on the regulator. According to the wiring diagram it was wired correct. How is everyone elses wired??

thanks for you help in advance
    Patrick series 6 builder

Default Re: capacitor blew up

Patrick,

I believe the capacitor has a + & a - terminal....on mine the - terminal was next to a row of arrows on the side of the canister. I hooked the - terminal of the capacitor to ground and the + terminal to the R term on the rectifier.

Don't know if all of them are marked +/- the same way or not.

That may or may not help....but that is how mine is hooked up.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Dave's right... electrolytic capacitors are polarized and must be connected properly. If connections are reversed, gases can be formed, pressure builds, & the capacitor can explode. It sounds like that's what happened to yours.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Mine did the same thing when I turned on the master the first time. It only took 5 seconds to blow my main fuse but it also blew the end off the capacitor because I wired it up backward.

The white stripe on the side of mine is the ground. It wasnt labeled so I figured I had a 50 50 shot unfortunately it didnt work out so well.