Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912-914

Default 912-914

Anyone with a varipitch control on their prop with the 912 or 914 have any advice for considering these options?

Default Re: 912-914

Airfox (Scott Noble) can weigh in on this with his 912ULS and Airmaster prop.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

War Eagle has a 914 with the Airmaster.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Okay, so can you tell me about the performance and how this set up works, install of system, what gain if any in your cruse and did it reduce your roll out and increase your climb.

So first let me start the discussion with a few facts:

I fly a Series 7a with a Rotax 914 with an Airmaster CS with the Warp drive blades. It is a 3 blade prop with nickle leading edge and I swing the 72" diameter version.

When I purchased my Airmaster prop the Warp drive blade was the only blade offered for the Rotax engine. Today they offer other blade options but I don't have any personal experience with those.

I have only flown my bird with the Airmaster CS so I can't tell you any before or after performance stories but I can tell you how this combination performs for me.

The Airmaster is a CS prop that is computer controlled system that uses electric servos to control the prop rather than hydraulic oil pressure that is typically used in many CS props. The units come preset for take off, climb and cruise rpms for the typical Rotax engine but all settings are programmable so that you can tailor the rpm settings to fit your needs and engine operating parameters. You can manually control the prop as well as use preset computer controlled settings. The system has infinite pitch control. The prop can be feathered if you like to do gliding maneuvers with the plane. My prop was not capable of running in beta but can be upgraded as the new versions now offer that.

I fly out of an airport that is 2700' + elevation and off the deck I can pull 1800 fpm. When flying with other planes in a group I will often get a radio call like: "how about throwing me a line" or "will you order lunch for me". It's fast for a Kitfox. While I have never measured the distance it takes to rotate when I poor the coal to it, I can tell you that it's also very quick off the deck. Now I have a turbo charged engine so I am well aware some of this performance is attributed to the engine as well.

I have flown (in my plane and in other Airmaster equipped planes) against other non Airmaster systems and "it is my opinion" that you would be hard pressed to find anything that will out perform it. The Airmaster system seriously improves the performance of the Rotax 900 series engines.
    I served as the purchasing agent for our EAA group that built of 13 Kitfox Series 7 planes for which I bought 8 Airmaster CS props and we installed them on 3 Rotax 914's and 5 Rotax 912ULS engines.

While there aren't many 914s in my neck of the woods there are a lot of 912s with all kinds of prop variations from ground adjustable to in flight adjustable.

While it would not be a rational compare for a 914 to fly against a 912s, I have flown in 912s (with an Airmaster CS) being challenged by a 912s with IVO inflight adjustable prop. The Airmaster equipped plane with 2 souls on board could allow the IVO equipped plane (with only the pilot on board) become airborne and clear the end of the runway before we started our roll out and we could catch and overtake IVO equipped plane.

The Airmaster really allows you to maximize (or fine tune) the engine performance so that you can maximize the aircraft performance.

They are a little spendy, so you have to really want one, but they work well.

WE,

Thank you for the report, this is the type info that will be very helpful justifying the cost with that type pf performance. As with most things in the hobby wants sometimes come with high cost but one only goes around once in this life time so why not!

I have not yet received one report when the owner of the air master was dis-satisfied with the operation and performance.

Thank you for taking the time to send the report.

Jim

Curious, do you fit the blades to the hub or do they do that?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Curious, do you fit the blades to the hub or do they do that?
    The Airmaster assembly uses the standard Warp drive blade but the hub assembly for the prop is a larger diameter than the standard Warp drive hub. So in order to maintain the 72" swing the standard blades are shortened (on the hub end) about an 1.5'' and then they are fitted for the bearing and hub lock assembly that fits inside the Airmaster hub.

Airmaster cuts the blades and does the minor machining that is required on the hub end of the blades. They also balance the whole assembly. Then in the install process I assemble the blades and lock them into the hub, do the setup adjustments and then go fly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by War Eagle; 03-22-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Here are some pictures of the install for my Airmaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

War Eagle,
    Your plane is just hands down beautiful! And, thanks for taking your entire prop assembly off, cutting your spinner in half and mounting it all on a tripod so we could see it! Now put it all back together and go fly!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos