Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok to put my ELT antenna in the fuse ??

Default Ok to put my ELT antenna in the fuse ??

I was thinking about just mounting my ELT antenna inside the fuse, somewhere in the tail cone, so it would be protected during a crash. However, I started thinking that the metalized paint we use on the fabric might interfere with the transmission signal, or the metal tubes themselves.

Anyone know of any limitations in mounting the Satellite receivable ELTs, or maybe even com antennas inside the fuse? Maybe some testing done in a magazine, or your own experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Roger

Default Re: Ok to put my ELT antenna in the fuse ??

My Comm and ELT antennas are inside the vertical stabilizer, electrically isolated from the tubing. The big sheet metal antenna is actually a dipole from Bob's Antennas. I have no doubt they will both work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Civil Search and Rescue guys I've talked to recommend it as it protects the antenna from a crash and does not impede the signal. They also said they only go off in about 1 out of 3 crashes and highly recommend the 406

Here's my classic 4. ELT antenna.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

antennas give the plane style, and you can service it if needed if mounted outside the frame

I mounted my ELT antenna along side the baggage compartment in my Model 4 as most do for crash survivability.
    I have my comm antennas mounted in the tail like Mr.Bill is doing and they seem to work just fine. The only external antenna on my Model 4 is the transponder blade style.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Our ELT is mounted in the baggage bay area similar to DF4's....just below the turtledeck on the starboard side. I also slid a length of small diameter poly tubing over the antenna whip for protection against unintentional grounding.

In the process of working with my DAR & EAA tech counselor, they highly recommended mounting the ELT antenna within the fuselage. Reason - if you need it, the plane will either be on its top or on its bottom and one can consider the likelyhood of the antenna being buried in the ground about half the time.

ELT systems are strictly a probability matter that any of them will work at all when needed; but, a person can skew the probability in their favor a bit depending on how the unit and antenna are mounted.

The DAR in particular; who did airworthiness and repair inspections on transport aircraft for his day job, was a fan of mounting within the fuselage if at all possible. A sidebar comment he made was in doing so, be sure the required spacing (usually specified in the installation manual for the radio, comm or ELT units) is maintained between the ELT antenna and other aircraft antennas to prevent signal re-radiation or blocking.

Inside mounting would be pretty hard to do with an all aluminum aircraft; but, tube and fabric ones like the kitfox do provide some opportunity.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

Mine is inside also. The radio and transponder antennas are outside.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

What is a dipole and is the metal glued to the fabric? How is the system isolated?

As best I can explain it-- a dipole is an antenna where half is the antenna and the other half acts as the ground plane. The antennas are held in place by the wooden ribs and do not touch the steel tubing or the fabric. I did add inspection covers to allow access if it is ever needed.