Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reregistering a deregistered Kitfox.

Default Re: KF found on Craigslist 1988 ??Model 1??

This discussion is making me reminisce about a kitfox I bought with missing/faulty paperwork. I drove all the way to someplace in Maine to pick up this model 2 with promises of "perfect" paperwork only to find he had everything (build log, receipts, etc) except an original A/W cert and properly executed bill-of-sale on the faa form 8050-2 from 1st owner to 2nd. I was the 3rd owner.

As it turns out I was able to recreate the 8050-2 from owner 1 to owner 2 because the 1st owner/builder was agreeable. Owner 2 did not register the airplane but that wasn't necessary.

I bought the records package from FAA in OK city which had a copy of the A/W cert. I thought this would be satisfactory to fly with but not so. The "A" in AROW refers to an original pink A/W cert, a copy will not do. To obtain a new original requires an amended A/W inspection with the scope of that inspection determined by the FAA Administrator assigned to the task. It turned out to be relatively painless after I created some nice looking Engine and Airframe Logs. Therefore I submit that you really don't know the extent of the measures necessary to fix things until you have all the facts. If you look at the attached registration you will see that the original A/W date is still in 1994 the amended A/W took place in 2012. It was sold to the current owner, #4 in 2012.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=547RD

I don't mean to be negative here but I'm just saying that some of this stuff can be way more difficult to fix than you would hope for.

When you apply to your FSDO for an amended AW Cert, you may be required to provide the aircraft's original Operating Limitations as well. If subsequent regulations or changes have effected your original OL's in any way, the FSDO must issue new, amended OL's to reflect the applicable changes. This was my experience for SLSA and I suspect the same is applicable for EAB.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

From the experience I was writing about in the above post The OL's were retrieved from OK city and provided by the FAA administrator from Albany, NY FSDO.

Also I failed to mention that my story pertains to an EAB airplane.

An associated item that is loosely related to this discussion is buying from a deceased owner or partner. FAA wants to see a death certificate and letter authorizing the sale by a properly appointed Executor of the estate. Seems like a forgery would be a whole lot easier.

I looked up the n number 170CK it us Unregistered, the person that had it registered was Chris Kirchner. He submitted the paperwork but it's not approved. You might want to check this.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=170CK
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

great read:
    i wanted to add this and see what comments would make it easiest.
    inherited a plane build by the original builder, never had a airworthiness certificate but is registered and current, plane is built about 98 percent.

a)do you get the airworthiness before selling
    b)how difficult is for the new owner to get airworthiness cert.