Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: aileron flutter !!!! help !!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: aileron flutter !!!! help !!!

Mike,

This thread was yours: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4739 You mentioned some of that same issue today "& the plane started to drop to the left".

If the engine is running rough for any reason, the resulting vibration amplifies the further away it gets from the source and to the components that flex the most - so seeing it outboard on the wings would not be out of line.

Good Luck

danzer , thanks again , yes thats right it did used to drop a left wing , but i believe that was due to it being set up for a previous owner who flew from the right seat , i adjusted the incidence a little & now its ok ? i think ? but today it was definate flutter on the ailerons , but as you said , & now thinking about it , the instrument panel shuddered badly also , so maybe it was water ? rough running engine ? that shook the whole airframe & made the ailerons flutter so badly ???
    regards
    mike

If the engine shut off on it's own I would start there. Something intermittent could be going on with your ignition or fuel delivery. Engine problems can definitely create a lot of vibrations in these planes and make it look like something else. I doubt this is a flutter or rigging issue. Your previous issue was about a heavy wing/incidence and again, I doubt it has anything to do with this. I'm betting on bad ignition connections, but check fuel too.

To make sure we understand this correctly, did the shuttering stop completely when the engine quit or did it continue after the engine shut down then stopped when the airspeed slowed?
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Hi cub. I can't be sure , it all happened so quick & was a bit of a blur . But I think it continued to flutter for a while after the engine stopped . It all seemed to be hard to control & settle , but maybe that was my nerves ?

Check all flapperon bearings and the tightness of the turtleneck bearings. They all should be snug with no play.

Check the rib tails for breakage.

Check all rodend bearings throughout the control system.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos