Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quick drains on wing tanks

Default Re: quick drains on wing tanks

I've flown my model 4 without wing tank drains for 11 years with no problems but will add that I live in the desert where condensing moisture is much less likely. I always sump the lowest drain on my system which is the bottom of the aluminum header tank.

My problem comes now when traveling cross country into higher moisture content areas of the country where water in fuel can be a higher possibility. Without wing tank sumps, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes for water to reach the header tank if water is introduced to the wing tanks through fueling. I refuel first then go get a soda or restroom break then come back and check for water in the fuel.

My worst instance of water in the fuel in 11 years was at Cavanaugh Bay, Idaho after a night of rain and the next morning it was heavy dew and some fog. I drained close to 10 sumps of water out of the header tank before getting a clear reading.

I think I'd put the flush mount wing sumps in if doing it over. You could check immediately after fueling to see if water was introduced.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

In the years I had mine, I’ve never gotten any water in the fuel. I am hankered in a very dry hanger, with no leaks.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

DF4...Yeah....thats right.....arid areas don't have the condensation problem we sometimes get in the less arid areas like up here in the midwest........Personally I have not had much of anything ever show up at the wing tank drains except for a few drops of water in the bottom of the sampler - (luck would have it the one day I didn't check it would be full of stuff so I always check)..... When water drops show up that is normally correlated with high humidity overnight...warm the day before and cooler in the morning. (hangar is an old drafty machine shed)..... I always use a filter which catches water when fueling so I am hypothesizing that it is simple in tank condensation.

Of course, I have never found anything plugging the pitot, static or wing tank cap pitots ....but they always get checked too....

Dave S
    KF7 TRigear

St Paul, MN

Are the "flush mounted" quick drains that everyone is referring to the same as what kitfox gave me with my kit two years ago? Or something that has been converted to?

Keep in mind there is "unusable" fuel in each wing tank that can collect contaminates. This needs to be able to be drained off.

IMO wing drains are required.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

thanks to all that put info on the quick drains, I'll be putting them in for sure! Sounds like a great safety check for water and contaminents!!

Thanks again KF people!

Kitfox supplied our 6 with non flush (meaning not flush with the surface of the wing). They would be fine but I went with "flush" mount which are not entirely flush but protrude less and thus less likely to interfere with the bubble doors.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

ok drains. why not? I have drains on both airplanes. I live in an area that has lower moisture as well. I haven't ever found water in my tanks. but I do find junk from time to time. My best friend is my filter I have inside the plane at the on/off valve before it goes to the firewall and to the fuel pump. I have one of those see though filters (paper) that I look at before each flight. once in a blue moon I will see a couple drops of water in there and junk. once I feel it's too much I switch the filter out. usually put in a couple a year. another thing I use the blue bing hose inside the plane. I have it before and after this filter. one little swing of the filter and I can see pretty well what's in it. I also have this filter after the valve so all I have to do is shut off the valve and replace the filter with very minimal mess, very easy.

I go straight to the fuel pump with nothing else in line from this filter. I do have a nice fitting at the fire wall that goes from bing hose to high pressure rubber line with special blue wall inside. it's called fuel injection line that I bought, stuff is great. I also use that from the fuel pump to the carbs.