Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Polished aluminum flaperons

Default Polished aluminum flaperons

Has anyone polished the flaperons not painted? Any reason not too? I'm kinda at that stage now and considering. Thanks for any input.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Default Re: Polished aluminum flaperons

If you had something to accent them front/nose and rear/tail i bet it would look sharp
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

agree to that, but: in this forum I read (concerning polishing the gear) that one should protect the aluminum from corroding i it isn't painted: i put on a transparent Tectyl.
    (Unfortunatley I'm not too happy with it: it keeps 'rubbery' and attracts dirt - which is had to remove. have to find a way to get rid of it..)

Hi Meyer the flaperons on my Kitfox III have been polished since new no problems with corrosion and they look good at least to me. There is no real problem with polishing landing gears the problem is with chroming them the chrome process can reduce the strength of the LG.
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 02-09-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I'm not too concerned with corrosion in Phoenix, but was wondering if constant attention is necessary. They are pretty shiny already. The aluminium is fairly thin also and is there a worry of damage while polishing? I'll leave the gear as is. I like the look.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ