Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox Market Value for Models 1-3 in 2014?

Default Re: Kitfox Market Value for Models 1-3 in 2014?

The Kitfoxes have a lot more interior head and leg room than an equivalent age Avid. A model 1 may be a little small for you, but best would to be to try it on for size.

Have fun shopping and if you find the one for you, don't waffle on it or it will disappear.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The Kitfox 1 and Avid A model are 36" wide, later models are about 39.5" wide at the shoulders. Jim Chuk

Thanks everyone, good to know. Aside from what's been mentioned already, any words of wisdom/advice, special things to look for/consider? I'll of course be searching the forum on this topic today, but thought I'd ask while I'm here...

Also, can anyone help me out with advice on buying an aircraft out of state? I don't want to miss a good plane just because it's far away, but is it too cost prohibitive? What about finding a mechanic out by the plane to inspect it? Thanks!

you find one,,post it's location with the above question..bet you get a quick answer
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Av8rsed, I can't see your post on here but I got it in my email... GREAT point about needing copilot brakes installed if I'm going to finish my training in it -- where would I go to get the copilot brake system for an older kitfox? Also, what about for an Avid if I find one of those?? Anyone else know the answer as well? Thanks!

I added copilot brakes to my model 1. I got them from Matco in Salt Lake City, UT.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Avid's, kitfoxes and a few others use almost the same design. Avid's are the original design and Kitfox is the offshoot of that, if I'm not mistaken. Anyone please correct me here if not so.

Avid's are great airplanes. There are a few that pop up and since they're not as known (I guess) a good deal usually. Nice planes and if you sat one by a kitfox most people couldn't tell the difference. Take a look at Avid Heavy Hauler's a lot like the Model 3. The only thing I personally don't like about Avid's is that the engine mount is upside down. Rotax are supposed to be able to run either way. However guys have had issues over time with fouling plugs from oil pooling on the top of the cylinder when not run, even after just a few days. Most of the time though it's not a problem, just a major difference in my opinion. There are tons of posts about this and other avid topics.

barnstormers.com is your best friend by now I assume. hahaha about 3 times a day do a search for "fox" and "avid" and some times search for "582" or "rotax 582" and some things will pop up you wouldn't normally find. Also craigslist is very handy. There are planes on there around the country. http://www.searchcraigslist.org
    This is a good tool to search all of craigslist for every state.

Buy a plane out of state? It's CRAZY!!!!! who would do that?!!! http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5308
    I'm about to set off in 4 days, from CO 1500 miles to TN with my brother where we'll be picking up a KFIV-1200. The thing that makes it do-able is that the plane comes with a light duty trailer made with a tail support. So you might like to check out the info I'm gathering as you may need to replicate the trip, if everything goes right that is!! *fingers crossed*
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 02-09-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks for the info! Congrats on your plane and good luck with your journey, I see you're in CO, I was born and raised there. Awesome place!