Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 912 Big Bore

Default Re: 912 Big Bore

I purchased the 105 HP Zipper kit through Jay last summer. Jay was very easy to work with and answered all my questions.
    Installing the kit was pretty straight forward for me. Granted I have many years of mechanical type work under my belt, but I think anyone with a bit of patience and common sense can install these kits.
    Engine fired right up and ran nicely. I still have some carb or syncing issues that I can't seem to figure out. Also, my charging system went wacky just before putting everything away for the winter. Might just be the rectifier but haven't had a chance to trouble shoot it.

Anyone contemplating this kit, I can only give you postive replies as far as experience with Jay and Hal.

jay , whats the problem with the earlier than 4400000 engines? is it that they have the helicoils ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Hello Chuck
    The 80HP Engines with helicoils could pose a problem with keeping proper head torque. More with 11:1 High Compression than the 9.7:1 Low Compresion ZIPPERS. At worst they could be replaced with steel inserts. Probably why Rotax later went to steel on the 912ULS and 914 cases.
    Thank you for your post.
    Jay

Is the 1622 kit available for the 80 hp engines?

Do you need the high torque starter or gearbox clutch?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hi Larry
    Yes .Do you want a Low or High compression set? You would need a HD Starter, Slipper clutch and adding a soft start module for cold weather starting wouldn't hurt for the High compression set. If you're where you can machine all of the case work GREAT! Otherwise Hal will do it.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Jay

Keith
    Thank you for that nice post.
    Jay

Me in my 114HP ZIPPER CYLINDER POWERED Kirfox and Hal in his 114HP ZIPPER CYLINDER POWERED Rans S7S ZIPPING over the GRAND CANYON at 10500 last weekend flying to Thunder Ridge Az. to Stan and Cara's for a Great weekend of fun flying and HOSPITALITY.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did it increase you cruise speed, climb, etc?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul
    To start with I'm at 5130 field elevation. After install I increased 350 RPM where the prop was set. I have a 70" Warp Drive, taper tip and was told to leave it at the pitch it was set. After flying we found out I didn't need to change it and haven't since. To note some things from a couple of weeks ago. DA of 5100 that day, I get 5600 on take off, get 1200 FPM climb and 6100 WOT at 7500 msl straight out with little wind, GPS showing 120 MPH ground speed, pegging my 120 MPH airspeed indicator. EGTs, CHTs and oil temps very acceptable. I still need to clean up some things. Faring my wing struts, gap seal the horizontal, and close up the tail would speed up things. I have some VGs but was saving till the last thing. Might try a 72" to see the difference. A guy in Austin will tell you pretty much the same.
    Picture of my EIS over the GRAND CANYON last weekend, didn't picture my AS but that was crusing at 100 at the time. 5420 RPM, CHT 194, EGT 1390.
    Hal and I burned almost the same amount of fuel, averaging five GPH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never seen 120 MPH. About the best I ever see is 112 at 5300 RPM. I get around 1000 to 1200 FPM at 560 foot elevation. Thanks for the Report.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas