Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Default Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Thanks Eddie. Are you talking about the Better Aircraft (Oratex) website or does Lars have his own which I haven't seen? Thanks again.

I have had good luck with using the water and vinegar at 4:1 as recommended by Lars. The more you soak it the better it works. I have only done this on glue that has been on for under 24 hrs after heating. It also seems that heat helps soften the glue where you can slowly peel it off. I have heard that after the 24hrs there is a cleaner that they sell that will remove it but it is expensive having it shipped.
    I to have just began the covering with Oratex and I actually used 2 practice kits trying to figure out how to work with it. It was very frustrating at first but it has gotten much easier and is actually getting satisfying to work with it. I have definitely gone from thinking I made a mistake to being happy I went with it.
    If your interested you can view more on mykitlog.com/bholland and of course all the guys on this site have been the best resource.

Brett

Better Aircraft site. Its possible that he sent me an attachment in an email once I ordered. I no longer have those. Accidently put them in the trash.
    Eddie

I used the vinegar and water solution to cleanup glue that hadn't been heated. Didn't know it would work on recently activated glue. Used acetone to cleaned up a small area of older, activated glue.

Rick, private message your email and I'll send the unofficial instructions that Lar's wrote. It's a less stilted, more real world, description of how to use the materials. It's an ongoing document and Lars would surely email the most recent version if you email him. But probably little has changed.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Thank you gentlemen. Carl PM sent (I hope)

Rick

Info sent Rick.

It finally sunk in that Lar's "Short Version" of the Oratex instructions could be attached to a post, so here they are. Lars says this is his "Technical German/English" writing style. You'll find his instructions are much more practical than the factory manual.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Got the info Carl. Thank you very much!! I'm hoping the vinegar/water mixture works. In rereading the company manual on removing fabric it does say the glue remover should remove dried glue. The remover itself is not that expensive, but the Hazmat fee is probably insanely high. I was going to get their degreaser and the fee was $500. Again I thank you for the info.

Rick

I stumbled across another method of removing glue from Oratex. They now provide a Primer that you can apply to the covering prior to applying the tapes. This primer is some sort of granules that you mix with pure Acetone, and after it sits for 12 hrs (I think), you can wipe it on to the areas that are getting taped and you don't need to worry about it getting outside the tape lines because it does not leave any residue. I had one piece of tape shrink slightly leaving exposed glue. I figured I would have to use the vinegar water method and not get it completely clean. After sleeping on it I thought I would try the primer and it worked very well 12 hrs after I initially applied the tape. I then tried it on some glue that had been heated several weeks prior and it softened it as well. I would say that it would be a mistake to try this anywhere but where you are removing glue for cosmetic reasons only, since it probably would damage the glue bond.

I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the excess
    glue on my tape & over lap lines . It took a bit of rubbing
    But got most of it off .
    Mike

Like many of you who have used Oratex, I chose to cover the tail feathers to see how I would like Oratex and the application process. After a steep learning curve and getting the tail feathers covered, I'm moving on to the wings and fuselage. To those ( John, Eddy, Carl, etal) do you remember about how many yards were required for the wings and fuselage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick