Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towing Question

Default Re: Towing Question

Same plane. I had talked to Randy about it befere it hit Barnstormers but had an Avid Speed wing and he wanted to fix it to fly. Things changed for us both about the right time, and I called him the night it hit barnstormers and made the deal. Randy got a new model IV with a 912 that I think he loves, I finished rebuilding my Buzzard and now have the time to devote to this project. More work than I remember but I am going to try to have her flying by the spring. (take that to mean this summer)
    Attached Images Attached Images

did you guys swap gear? or did you get the stock gear with the purchase as well?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Got it just as it sat. No extra gear. I look forward to getting it in the air.

ok I thought I see stock landing gear on the floor in first pic.. we look forward to seeing completed pictures
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I think you see the motor mount. I had just pulled it off the plane as part of the dis-assembly to get ready for covering. I tried to pull the tailwheel assembly but the spring is stuck to the bolt that drops through the fuse in front of the tailpost. Don't want to force it but may need to try a 1.98 persuader (big hammer)
    Norm

push down on the tail spring..slide a flat piece of steel between spring and fuselage from the rear,,now lift tail spring at wheel,..repeat ,,thicker piece between tail and spring,,no hammering this way
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    push down on the tail spring..slide a flat piece of steel between spring and fuselage from the rear,,now lift tail spring at wheel,..repeat ,,thicker piece between tail and spring,,no hammering this way
    Thanks for the tip. I tried it briefly but no luck yet. Will try again tomorrow.

spray her down good,,let her set over night
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

What material do you use for the rods through the fuselage that connect it to the towbar? Also the wing braces?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Micro Mong Bldr View Post
    What material do you use for the rods through the fuselage that connect it to the towbar? Also the wing braces?
    Thanks!
    Quarter inch cold rolled steel rod should fit. BUT, if the plane is secured too tightly, AND your trailer flexes, you WILL bend it again. Unless you have a solid heavy trailer secure the tail by the tail wheel only. This has been my experience FWIW. I had to repair the same damage on my KF after my third or fourth flight.
    OneNinerWhiskey