Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Towing Question

I see a lot of people tow their foxes backwards.

What is the reason for this?

Thank you.

Default Re: Towing Question

Fits better on a modified boat trailer. Easier to load/ unload while elevating the tailwheel (reduces stress on the tailwheel). It also prevents wind from blowing in the exposed wing roots possibly loosening fabric.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

You dont see too many but the tow bars originally made for the kitfox aircraft that connects to the tail which is still part of newer kitfox , my 5 has the tow bar/ lower dorsalfin connections built into the airframe, if your not towing too far, its a slick set up
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Any way you can tow down the hiway with the towbar?

the tow bar that I see used, I had asked the gentlemen how far they went with it,..they had said 5 miles one way and top speed was 45 mph on secondary roads,..
    Personally I wouldn't tow it on an interstate with the tow bar set up,..I'd feel allot safer with a parameter frame trailer with plane on it,..

the gentlemen that I had spoke to had a model 3 with stock landing gear,..and the stock kit smooth tires,..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

As I recall the tow bar was for short distances and low speeds like 30 mph.
    Highway speeds would not be a good idea. Also I'd be careful on any bumpy roads.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

If plane is pulled forward the tail wants to fly and you risk bending the back. This picture shows damage to a kitfox because of a 800mile tow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I tow every time I fly. To me it feels like a boat trailer. Only about 1.5 miles to the airstrip, but I have had it up to 50mph on a smooth straight away with no problems what so ever
    Geowitz- you also have the wider stance Grove gear.
    When the towbar was first offered that gear was not used yet. Bungie gear are much narrower.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Smile Re: Towing Question

To All, I bent my KF4 same as Norm. I feel it was strapped down too tight at the aft towing attachment tubes on a too flexible trailer. Since then I secure at the main wheels and tail wheel only. No issues since, towing on highways up to 55mph. Towing plane backwards as you can see in my album.

Gale Walton
    OneNinerWhiskey

19W looking at your photos, your trailer, if you modified the main wheel plates ( lowered them) and raised the tailwheel point, so your wing sat level, then moved your trailer axle back as far as you could, it would make your trailer allot more solid, with the way it is , it will bow the trailer frame rails, as light as it is ( the trailer) the weight of the plane is mostly on the trailer, it might even sway at higher speeds,, just from what i see id say your 90/10 weight distribution, should be 75/25, 75% trailer 25% hitch
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL