Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing Question

Default Re: Towing Question

I tow every time I fly. To me it feels like a boat trailer. Only about 1.5 miles to the airstrip, but I have had it up to 50mph on a smooth straight away with no problems what so ever
    Geowitz- you also have the wider stance Grove gear.
    When the towbar was first offered that gear was not used yet. Bungie gear are much narrower.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Smile Re: Towing Question

To All, I bent my KF4 same as Norm. I feel it was strapped down too tight at the aft towing attachment tubes on a too flexible trailer. Since then I secure at the main wheels and tail wheel only. No issues since, towing on highways up to 55mph. Towing plane backwards as you can see in my album.

Gale Walton
    OneNinerWhiskey

19W looking at your photos, your trailer, if you modified the main wheel plates ( lowered them) and raised the tailwheel point, so your wing sat level, then moved your trailer axle back as far as you could, it would make your trailer allot more solid, with the way it is , it will bow the trailer frame rails, as light as it is ( the trailer) the weight of the plane is mostly on the trailer, it might even sway at higher speeds,, just from what i see id say your 90/10 weight distribution, should be 75/25, 75% trailer 25% hitch
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Smile Re: Towing Question

Thanks for the comments, SkyPirate. You analysis seems right on target. I have pondered moving the axle, but too busy trying to find time to fly off the 40 hour restriction. For anyone wondering about VW powered Foxes, I will try to get some numbers posted soon if the weather permits. So far it has met my expectations and has been a blast to fly. Got 26 hours on her so far with only minor adjustments needed.
    OneNinerWhiskey

Hi Guys
    I find the best way to approach this issue of "tail weight" is to utilize the installed carry tubes (probably designed for a drawbar). I have some pics on my album showing the method I use. Seems to distribute the stress well.
    Cheers
    Don C-FOXK Vixen 912UL IVO IFA.

Thanks 19W , i have built many trailers from boat to T&T, i use to build trailers for Raven not far from you in Jacksonville, also built custom parameter trailers for Chris Craft boats, etc even worked on the Nascar track dryer trailers
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Kitfox2009 thats a good set up for a trike, well done
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I see a lot of people tow their foxes backwards.
    What is the reason for this?

I sent a reply that the tubes on the back of my Kitfox bent due to towing nose first. I bought the plane in that state with the intent of a full rebuild. It is a model IV 1050 with the 582 (that may change) and yesterday I started some of the work. Just so you know the back is now straight and I did a bunch of component removal to get ready to re-cover. Fear not all this KitFox will live to fly another day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

good for you Norm,..if I remember the plane correctly...where to upper longerons bent due to a strap over the tail ? I remember a red 1050 in Canada that was for sale on barn stormers due to transport damage,, just curious if this is the same plane
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL