Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New in Kitfox forum.

Default New in Kitfox forum.

Hello I'm Leonardo Silva and got a ss7 that a friend bought it in 2007, plane is covered but still a lot of work to be done, Ken Nougaret answered the first question but I have more to go since this is my first real airplane that I'm doing (many cl and rc models).
    Door hinges, there are some posts but no conclusion, the material supplied does not give you the chance to do them as per instructions, any suggestions? I'm uploading a pic to see what I mean. Thanks
    Leonardo.[ATTACH][ATTACH]6031
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New in Kitfox forum.

Hi Leonardo,

From your photo, it looks like the hinge stock was cut too short somewhere at some time previous...I see that the bottom part of the hinge stock in the photo has been trimmed too (don't know if that is a problem?).

Since you are not the original purchaser of the kit, and it is hard to tell what happened to the part before except that it is not enough material, the solution may be to get a new piece of hinge stock and get a fresh start. I am certain John @ Kitfox can get you what you need.

At least you didn't get two left wingtips like I did.....please note - that was before John McBean was the owner...things are better now!

A new piece of hinge stock shouldn't cost much.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear - Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Leonardo, I don't see this as a problem as the hinge will work as it should even though the lay out is not as the instructions show. in fact that is the way that part came on a resent kit that we just started. the lay out lines that are on the part in the picture is the way we cut our hinges.

It may or may not not be a critical difference, but the hinge assembly will be weaker if not done as the factory specifies. The half with a single "knuckle" will be weaker & the other half slightly stronger. The end result is that the total assembly is not as strong as a unit. I'd get a new piece of hinge stock... you'll actually probably only need a very short piece to make 1, and you can get 3 more out of the piece that you have. Like I tried to say at first, it may not be necessary, & the "alternate" way may be more than strong enough, but I think I'd just do it right to be sure, in my humble opinion.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Mine is done as shown in your pic (your actual part not the instructions) and has worked fine so far. I wonder if this is an intended change.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks for all the input on this matter, the one knuckle looked weak to me also, but on the other hand the hinge material is very strong and the door is light, just don't fly with the doors open having this configuration.
    Leonardo

But I do fly with the doors open in that configuration, I don't think the hinges would be the first point of failure.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

All right!!, then you're a living proof of that being ok, so I will continue working without worry on this step. Thanks again.
    Leonardo

Also will be ok to file down the weld excess on the doors? They go kind of tight because of that.