Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark Floats

Default Shark Floats

I have a Kitfox IV 1200 and a set of used shark amphibs. I was thinking about installing them but I need to get them rigged for a kitfox. Anyone have any experience with these floats

Default Re: Shark Floats

Hey Neighbor,..have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if they have a solution? have you weighed the floats? found CG of the floats?

puma aircraft now own the rights for lsa shark floats
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 01-10-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

these floats look like they could be flown off powder snow too
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

nice looking floats. has anyone put them on an ss7 yet? video say they have them for up to 1600 lbs.

I wonder what the older models weigh since he states they are changing the composite material because of weight
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I have been trying to get info from Puma but not having much luck. They are the series 3 1350 I have not weighed them yet but I was wondering the same thing about new series being different. I was hoping there was someone with a set in service that had all the specs on the rigging and performance. This is my first seaplane so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I have made my own riggings in the past,..I weighed the floats ..found CG,.then found center buoyancy ,..like anything that is suspended in air or water..you have to get CG and buoyancy with in the envelope of each components limits ( the payload for the float inert and the CG of the load ie airplane),..usually it ends up with the step of the float very close to where the rear main gear would be in trike configuration,..now the angle of the wing to float,..in my installations, plane at level flight position the floats are at about 2 degrees high on the nose,..this does 2 things,,while in the air,,the floats will "fly" and help carry their weight,..when landing on water you fly to the surface ..you don't flare like on wheels,and with amphibs your mains will touch the surface first when landing on pavement..these floats being relatively flat on the bottom,,I wouldn't want to land on anything bigger then a 6" swell ,.the flatter the bottom of the float the more it will beat the crap out of you in rougher water,...anyways,..when you touch down the surface from the step forward touches first,..about half way to the bow of the floats,. with the floats at 2 degree's and what little flare you have at touch down its the same config as a boat on step at this point,..you slow down gradually and the floats settle onto the water,..like a boat,..too quick deceleration and you get a swell that smacks you from behind
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

what type mechanism for the retracts? and are they hydraulic brakes? do you have the cross braces that go from float to float? and flying wires? rudder cables etc?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

if you are going to make your own ..Shapiro's in STL has the aerodynamic extruded aluminum for the rigging ,...they will also have the 6061 for making your connection blocks
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 01-10-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL