Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me Kitfox

Default New to me Kitfox

I have been lurking for a while,wanted to say hi and great forum!
    A few months ago I purchased a kit fox speedster IV 1200 with a rotax 912.
    80 hp. This kit was started in 1994, but little work completed in the years that passed.
    The quality of the kit is very good! Very complete, lots of misc. you would normally have to buy as extras are included! (Safety wire,electrical connectors,hose and fittings etc.etc.)
    Very much enjoying the build at this time. I'm sure I will have a few questions from time to time. First attempt at posting a picture?? Ready to start covering. Thanks again Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New to me Kitfox

looks good some things I would do before covering..decide where I'm going to put com antenna,..is there a plate already there or does one have to be installed,..are you using the standard antenna or the internal antenna that some use and mount in vertical stabilizer transponder antenna?

and welcome to the forum
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

have you got the pieces I added in your photo that go from the door jam to tail?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Welcome aboard Mike. The 4 with the 912 will be a great performing Kitfox. Build it light. I see a large baggage compartment and the wide body mod.
    You'll enjoy both of those features.
    Be mindful of old fuel lines that may have been included in that vintage kit.
    There are many discussions on that subject to search for. Look for "mil. spec." black hose. Replace that with new alcohol proof fuel line. The mil spec. can swell internally and cause engine stoppage if using auto fuels with alcohol. Also some of the older fuel site gauges were known to become brittle and break which can leak fuel into the cockpit. That's an easy fix with the latest fuel site gauge kits offered by Kitfox Aircraft.

Be aware of aged liquid covering products. Some can still be used but others may not be useable anymore. Ask the forum for advice on specific items so you don't ruin your covering installation.

Also you can search Rotax sites for info. on your specific serial number on you engine for any safety bulletins that may or may not have been addressed.
    You're probably aware of all the above mention items if you've been on the site for awhile.

Best of luck and have fun.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Wow that was fast.
    Yes Chase the comm plates are pre installed,I have the wood strips that go from the door jam to the tail.
    Desertfox, I haven't used any hose from the original kit,and I agree completely about keeping it light! Just ordered new bunji coard material,and have new poly tak on the way. I was wondering about the other chemicals?? From what I've read they have a shelf life of at least 2 to 3 years. I hate to throw all this stuff away,but I don't want to be foolish? It's all 94 vintage.
    I did use some of the spar varnish,was still good. The thinners I think would be ok?
    Am aware of a few ADs on the engine, a few on the air frame also.
    Have a question, my speedster kit uses 1/4" heim ends at the rudder pivot,did I read there is an up grade for this? Are 1/4" ok?

Thanks everyone. Mike

Thumbs up Re: New to me Kitfox

Mike,
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Model 4-1200 score! I'm not building YET, but the response you just got from these folks is the "norm". Anything you've got questions about, someone here can answer...from Building Tips/Techniques to Regulations & Paperwork...This forum is great! Almost a "one-stop-shop" if you will! Welcome and please keep us update on your build. The "______'s Build" (i.e. Oz Build SS7 & Esser's Build) seems to be a good tool to keep things updated and address concerns or field questions. Until next time...
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

the sealant/adhesive for installing the wing tanks definitely has a shelf live . I'm aware of a late 90s speedster that has had both wing tanks loosen and start moving due to incorrect installation with crappy sealant . also consider installing the new improved wing tanks . it is expensive but much easier now than to have to cut the wing open and replace them later . I know , check my albums .
    lots of info on this site , don't be afraid to ask
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

by the way , nice stand
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I built and fly a Model 4. The last generation and best of the original Kitfox in my opinion. I'm not aware of any upgrades to the 1/4 inch Heim on the rudder.

I hate all the plastic zip ties on my Kitfox. If I had it to do over I would not use them anywhere except to secure the seat pan as you will cut them off and replace once a year at annual anyhow.

I am slowly replacing all my zip ties with electrical wiring lacing cord.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...acingTapes.php

AC 43.13-1b and AC 43.13-2b shows you how and can be found on line but I find my hard copy is mush more handy and useable in the shop.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...lickkey=218417
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Smile Re: New to me Kitfox

Great info as always,thanks guys. I am considering building aluminum
    fuel tanks. I know some have failed in the past but I dont like the fiberglass ones that came with my kit (Kream coated).
    Another question did any IVs come with a header tank only? If so what did the factory do to the wings to reinforce them? Drag, Anti drag bracing?

Has anyone used the plastic replacement tanks? Looked like you would loose
    most of the original structure the fiberglass tanks provided?

If I build new tanks,I might incorporate a horizontal baffle "X" to provide some extra strength ?? Building metal tanks as light as glass tanks will be a challenge even W/O extra bracing inside. Need to keep the weight down.!!

Mike