Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaperon Hangar rash. Fix or replace them? Pics.

Default Flaperon Hangar rash. Fix or replace them? Pics.

I have some damage so my model IV flaperons. I didn't do it!

One has a spot where the LE has some damage and is flattened in a bit.

The other has damage to the Trailing edge.

Could I/should I attempt a repair on these? I was thinking I could fab a tool to push put most of the leading edge, something where I could split the trailing edge and re-rivet it together.

Similarly, I could split the trailing edge damage area, straighten it down and bond it back together.

Is a lightweight filler acceptable for the finishing work?

Or, am I out of my mind and they need to be replaced?

Default Re: Flaperon Hangar rash. Fix or replace them? Pics.

you can fix that pretty easily,..go to the autoparts store and ask for a "Shrinking hammer" once you get that get a piece of 14 gauge metal that will fit into the opening on trailing edge,..file the edges of the 14 guage ..then get a 1" thick piece of steel to go under the flaperon if you can set it on a bench.it would be best.now lightly start tapping the crinkled edge working back and forth,,don't use allot of force,..it will leave little dimples in the material but it will also remove the distortion so you can put a light coat of filler over it once you get top and bottom of the trailing edge flat again the leading edge use a flat hammer,..split the trailing edge in line with the damage..take and make a bucking bar that is wider then the damaged area..with pressure on the bar..start at each outer edge od the damaged area and work toward the middle,..patience the key and it doesn't take allot of force,,even though the material is thin..you can expand it to the point of distortion if you hit too hard
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

just to clarify ..a shrinking hammer looks like a mini meat tenderizer on the face,..it is used for auto body repair..old school
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Yeah, the tough part will be shrinking it rather than stretching it and making it worse, no doubt. Im sure I have a shrinking hammer in my old body-shop tools somewhere.

I guess I wanted to check and see if this was something people actually do.... or if it was a big no-no.

I'm not the original builder of this plane so I'm learning things as I dig into it.

Does the trailing edge have an adhesive where the aluminum meets?

if your worried ,..try this get a thin piece of leather and put it between the 14 ga metal and the surface your working..it will shrink it faster,so be careful,..fixing hangar rash ,..sad to say ..is sometimes more common then we like
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Thanks for the tips. I just bought my IV and with too many helpers and the hurry to get loaded on the trailer one of my ailerons got a leading edge ding. Oops.

Are you supposed to put the flap handle up to keep the rod ends out of the way when you fold the wings?

I know some use and adhesive and rivets..try putting a sheet rock blade between the top and bottom,..to see if it is both ..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I haven't folded my 5 yet,,my 2 I didn't have to disconnect the rod ends..kitfox has a video on the website of folding the wings
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

looking at the photo again I wonder of you can remove the flaperon cap and reach the leading edge from the end?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

The first foam rib is in the way. I was thinking I'd have to split the seam on the trailing edge directly behind it, and make a wooden tool to gently tap most of it out.