Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ss7 leading edge flat spotted

Default ss7 leading edge flat spotted

While i was heat smoothing the leading edge before putting on the leading edge finish tape, i caused the plastic to flatten where i held the iron too long at 250°. Is there a fix? Can i put superfill on top of the fabric and then cover it with the finish tape? Im not sure if that is a really stupid question or not. Or maybe try to build up the flat spot with poly brush? thanks, ken

Default Re: ss7 leading edge flat spotted

Hello Ken, I did the same thing to my leading edge. Superfil came to the rescue. Clean the area with alcohol first, then I used a bondo spreader (plastic squeegee ) bent to shape of the edge. It gave a fairly smooth finish that required little sanding. Much easier than trying to shape with a file and sand paper. After the first wing I found that using the bondo spreader when gluing the fabric down saved a lot of ironing. Go over the wet glued area with the spreader to smooth it. A word of caution do not apply too much pressure you want to smooth only not remove most of the poly tac.
    Another caution be very careful of the temperature setting on your irons when ironing your tapes. My hobby iron has a knob on the top that moves very easily, too easily. The tapes that get ruined are always the ones underneath don't ask me how I know. Good luck fairly easy fix.

Default Re: ss7 leading edge flat spotted

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday i sanded a piece of hard wood to shape that would fit inside the gap between spar and plastic. I put some more heat on the leading edge and tapped the wood in. I think it helped some. Then i was thinking that maybe i could put some extra ploy spray in that area(when the time comes) and sand it to shape. ken