Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: backing on polycarbonate sheets

Default backing on polycarbonate sheets

I'm having one hell of a time trying to peel the backing off the polycarbonate sheets for the turtle deck. The sheet is from 2001 and I've spent about 2 hrs on it and have maybe a 4"x6" rectangle torn off. Any solvents or tips to help remove the film backing???

thanks Patrick
    series 6 builder

Default Re: backing on polycarbonate sheets

Patrick- my experience with a piece of plastic that old was that nothing I tried for two days saved the sheet. I got all the coating off but the sheet was destroyed. I tried all kinds of recommended miracle removers and even soft plastic scrapers with heat applied and without. Not worth the effort.
    Buy new plastic. It's better for your blood pressure.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The only things I would try are naptha or kerosene. Soak but don't let dry. See if you can get an edge to lift. Put some in a spray bottle and spray it between the backing and the panel to keep a wet edge and try to roll it back as flat as possible. A little hair dryer heat may help, but don't over do it.

Also, when cleaning Lexan panels, use only non abrasive cleaners like Joy or Palmolive dish soap for best results.

Greg

A quick trip to Home Depot, or Menards, should buy a new sheet of lexan for a
    reasonable price ...

Regards,
    Jeff

I had the same problem ,only a previous owner had cut and installed both the door windows and the turtle back without removing the paper on. I finally was able to remove the paper but the windows looked like crap . I went the buy a new sheet of lexan route . the only good thing was that I had a half of sheet of window material with the paper stuck to it that I could use for a mockup instrument panel . it did work out as I was able to get a good idea of the location and fit of the instruments and radios without wasting a piece of metal
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

ok guys I went and bite the bullet! Went and got a new piece!!! Thanks all!!! have a great new years!!!

For anyone that has a similar problem, use denatured alcohol.

My hangar buddy obtained some replacement windows for a Cessna 152 that were in storage for at least 30 years. The paper was dry and the adhesive was granulated like dried mucilage. We all thought there was no way to salvage the windows. previous attempts to remove the paper were futile. People had tried avgas and jet fuel with no luck. We just didn't have the correct solvent.

He used a rag and denatured alcohol to soak into the paper covering. The adhesive softened after several minutes and the paper peeled off with no damage to the windows.

Be patient. Don't scrape with anything. Just soak and wait. If the paper starts to tear, soak and wait.

With the paper removed he used more alcohol to clean up any residual sticky stuff. A quick buff with some polish and they look great.

The key is alcohol, soak and wait.

John

Denatured alcohol would be okay on polycarbonate (Lexan) as asked about here. But a word to the wise for some that don't know: Different chemicals react differently on different "plastics". So be sure you know what your are using it on, before attempting. I would not use alcohol on acrylic (Plexiglass).

Greg

I have had good luck using 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner for things like this. also have found it to be the best to remove mogas stains out of every thing I tried