Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

Thank you, Brett.

I'm no machinist either, but I've managed to collect a few tools over the years, and I've always been a builder and "experimenter". I'm REALLY enjoying the Kitfox now, and in fact I'm just about to head for the airport & take advantage of our good weather! While I'm writing, I have to say that I feel a little guilty that I haven't been sending congratulations to many of the people who have accomplished that first flight. I have been monitoring the forum though, and I open up my big mouth every once in awhile to try to add a thought or two. It's so good to follow you guys who are building and sharing your experiences... I love this site and the Kitfox group in general!

Years ago I flew my dad down to a fly-in in Prescott, AZ in my Thorp T-18. We saw a Kitfox for the first time and my father was really taken with it. It reminded him of a little Monocoupe of course, & I think he dreamed a little of building one. I had no interest in the design at the time, but I think that seed was probably planted there. I'm so glad that it grew in me. I wish he could have seen me build and fly this one... he would have loved it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Regarding fuel sight gauges - when I was building I had one of my "re-invent the wheel" moments (also known as "temporary insanity") and thought about ways to improve the fuel sight gauges. While researching for possible new, better tubing options that might not darken or get cloudy with age & exposure to fuel, I found this -

Sight glass tubing.jpg

So, this stuff is a little stiffer and doesn't take a small radius bend well without kinking. I built this fixture to try forming the tubing after heating it at different temperatures in the oven, putting it in the fixture and heating again, followed by cooling. The problem is that the tubing went from nice & clear before, to slightly cloudy after heating. There may be an optimal temperature or technique that I'm not aware of to prevent this, but I decided not to waste any more time at that point. I haven't given up though, and I have some other ideas that I may try when my tubes become darkened and I replace them.

IMG_1910.jpgIMG_1912.jpg
    Last edited by jrevens; 02-04-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: correct wording
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I’ve been looking for the correct composite 90 degree compression fitting to use with an actual glass sight tube. This would be the real permanent fix.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yeah, I've thought of that too, Larry. A straight tube would be easy to get in Pyrex, but one could also be formed. The problem with the straight one would be that the compression fittings would diminish the length of the tube that is visible.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I can live with that. When you can no longer see fuel that is mission critical...

In flight, you can always kick a little rudder and splash the fuel up the sight tube.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yep, I agree.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

We found glass and acrylic tubing. Use a torch to heat and bend making the 90. Made sight gauges out of both. The glass is much more fragile than the acrylic. We tried braking them both and the acrylic bends much more before shattering. Anyone know what kitfox used before and had problems with?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Had a nice flight today during our beautiful Colorado Spring weather... If you're based at a busy general aviation airport with a control tower, like I am, it's a real pleasant change to have very little other traffic to contend with on a nice Saturday. I did practice my "social distancing" ... averaged about 1000 ft., actually.

4-4-20.jpg
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, I like the clean elegant look of your color scheme.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks, Jim... it’s called the “Lazy Man’s Scheme”.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime