Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647 LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

DesertFox4 - any chance of moving this thread into the "Member's Build Logs" category? Seems like it should be there, but it's up to you of course.

I finished building my own copy of the "Tail-Mate" tailwheel hoist yesterday. Worked on it during a big blizzard we had here... couldn't do much else anyway! I had hoped to find one for sale, but since I had most of the material already I decided to "do-it-myself". At the ripe young age of 72, bending forward to lift the 59 pounds that mine weighs just isn't much fun anymore. This is much better -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Looks nice John - need pictures of it in operation though - I'd curious as to how it clears the rudder. If and when I get to move to my own hangar I'll probably need one so save your parts list and dimensions.

FWIW, I use a "Hi-Lift" jack to lift my tail because I happen to have one handy. I hook the jack under the lift handle (with a pad) on the left side top longeron. It is somewhat off center, so you must have brakes on, and/or wheels blocked.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

John , very professional as usual of the stuff coming out of your shop. I see one of these in my future as well . I just completed a fix on my tail leaf spring mount bracket that required lots of tail lifting and I quickly found I ain't the man I used to be. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Looks nice John - need pictures of it in operation though - I'd curious as to how it clears the rudder. If and when I get to move to my own hangar I'll probably need one so save your parts list and dimensions.
    Darrel - I modified the design a little so that it clears the rudder. The original "Tail-Mate" that I used as an example did not. I finally took it up to the hangar and tried it out... works good!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

OK John. Another subject. Way back when I was looking at things I wanted to be sure I did with my build, I liked your piece of wood you used as the rudder trim tab. Your latest pic shows it.

Are you as happy with it in execution as you thought you would be in theory? About how along a piece did you wind up putting there? I want to know cause I want to use that idea. It's perfect.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Very nice John - Once I complete the tig welding class one will be in my future. Thanks, Darrel

I haven't been real happy with how I mounted my Lightspeed headset controls with Velcro, on the close-out "shelf" in the wing root area above each door. Today I made a couple of little SS spring clips/brackets that will mount there with high strength foam mounting tape. I think they will work real well.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Your clips look very nice John, what tools did you use to bend these? They look identical you must be using CNC tooling!

Thank you Jim. I have a small sheet metal brake and also used my hands and a couple of different round rods.
    I did it in steps, exactly the same for each one.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime