Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

Hey John, I am on the same track as you have mentioned regarding Tires and Tail gear. If you were to do it again, would you just put those items on from the first flight. I have the tires just need to order the tail gear. Thought I might just do all that taxiing to break in the breaks while on the factory tires. Do you think its worth it?
    Beautiful airplane BTW.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie,
    If you haven't used the tires and tailwheel that came with the kit, you could check with Kitfox to see of a trade deal could be made.

Ralph

John

What wheel and tire did you use with the T-3?

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Hey John, I am on the same track as you have mentioned regarding Tires and Tail gear. If you were to do it again, would you just put those items on from the first flight. I have the tires just need to order the tail gear. Thought I might just do all that taxiing to break in the breaks while on the factory tires. Do you think its worth it?
    Beautiful airplane BTW.
    Ralph’s right, Eddie. I would see if you could make a trade if you want to, but I think the original tires are fine. I didn’t have the standard tires that usually come in the kit. It’s just that the particular tires I bought initially didn’t seem to be a good match for my airplane, in retrospect. They were real “grabby” and stiff, and I like the look & softness of the new ones better. Live & learn. There was nothing wrong with the original spring also, but the new one is nicer. So, I guess it’s mostly a personal decision. If I did it again, I’d personally start out with what I have now, but that’s just me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fox View Post
    John

What wheel and tire did you use with the T-3?
    It’s the lightweight Matco dual fork 8” pneumatic. I think the ABW 3200 is probably a better wheel, but it is a lot heavier.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

WOW great looking plane !!!

Amazing job !!!

Future KitFox Owner and Builder

I'm thinking that there must be others who have long legs and big feet like me, and perhaps have had a little bit of difficulty staying off the brakes completely - for instance while landing. Seems like my feet would creep up the pedals when I really didn't want them to, and the brakes on this airplane really work well! I have the pedals at the best angle I can get while still having adequate firewall clearance, but the angle of my feet on the pedals was just not optimum for me. So I made a couple of blocks out of 1/2" Delrin plastic. This really made a great improvement in my handling of the airplane and comfort, and I positively stay off the brakes when I don't want them. I think it was John Pitkin who suggested moving the rudder pedal assembly aft to get a better angle on the pedals, and that probably would have given the same result (more eloquently). However, I can really feel where my feet are now, and it just feels so much better. Most of you guys are probably better pilots than I am, and don't have a problem like this, but man was I having a time with mine. For this, and a couple of other reasons, my airplane wasn't handling on the ground like Paul's up in Idaho did. In 45 years of flying, the bulk of it in tailwheel aircraft, I had never ground-looped an airplane, but I did with this one and it was very humbling and embarrassing. All's good now though. Havin' fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

One other little thing I did recently was to make a little hanger assembly for my headsets that clamps to the rear spar carry through tube. I've seen lots of cool and simple ways that builders have accomplished the same thing (better), but I made this before really paying attention to how others have done it. The cubby holes in the baggage sack are an excellent storage space for the headsets, but it's difficult for me to reach into the one behind me after I get in. I know that others have stored the pilot's headset in the passenger cubby, and vice versa, but I had already wired my jacks, and my headset cords weren't long enough to comfortably reach across. This works good... reach in and hang the headset up before I get in, then store it nicely in the cubby hole when done flying.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Hey John, I haven't ground looped an airplane yet, but I've been within a gnats whisker of doing it. And yes, it's a humbling experience ... I think at some stage most t/w pilots will get that adrenalin rush when they either come close or "execute the manuever" !

On the delrin blocks, great idea. My feet also creep up the pedals and I have to consciously bring them back down. Will shamelessly steal the idea ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hey John, if your gonna do it, do it well. I hope when I do it (like you) I don't damage anything either. Great to hear your having a good time flying.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X