Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cap 140 prop

Hasd anyone got any experience with the Cap 140 prop? I have never used one ,..pro's and con's??

I just read this article concerning a cap 140 prop.
    http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...lshPage10.html

the reason for the crack mentioned in the article,..all machinists ..well I thought all machinists know you can not stop an inside turn with a 90 degree cut,..it has to be beveled,..
    this article was the only article found on that particular prop so far,..still searching.

Default Re: Cap 140 prop

Pros- controllable pitch with reverse pitch capability. Great I'd think for a float plane.

Cons- a friend had one blade depart the aircraft on take-off which of course was less than desirable. Shook both carbs off the 912 almost instantly which stopped the engine. Luckily the engine remained with the aircraft and he was still in range of the departure airport and made an emergency landing. Damage- that I can recall: broken motor mounts, carb , exhaust, throttle cables, spinner, some fiberglass and obviously a $3000.00 prop. Aircraft had to be hauled from the Pacific N.W. back to Phoenix for repairs.
    The carbs coming off probably saved his life. Not much holding the engine in place when it was inspected after the landing. The Cap140 people gave him a brand new prop but it remained in the shipping box and he went to Ivo's ever after.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had read a similar incident on a float plane with the cap 140 in the above articles..do you know if the prop your friend had was the 1st 2nd or 3rd rendition of the cap 140? reading what was said in the above articles the prop was re worked and has an approved 3rd generation ..that is suppose to have a 900 hr TBO,.. it was using the reworked Warp Drive prop blades changing the head to occomidate the mechanism of the pitch control head ,..in doing this the machinist put the dreaded 90 degree inside cut ,..I am assuming they are using a radius on the inside cut now ,... a 90 degree cut on any machined part that is going to be assualted by ,..torgue,..and engine induced harmonics creating frequency vibrations that must be off the chart on the high and low side,..it's like cutting glass,..just a scratch and it will break,..I'll have to check on the serial number of series to see which props are 3rd generation,..and do some research on how it's record is

thanks for your reply Steve

Prop probably was an early version as this happened about 1999 or 2000 and his was the first one of those I'd seen at the time.
    The blade actually broke off just below the hub, not the hub. He did have concerns about the hub having too much "play" in it after a short time in service but there was no way to remove the excess play. Did this cause the blade to fatigue and depart? Not sure. Was it a bad blade? Either way that was enough for me to look elsewhere for a prop.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had also read something about the play in the head after short time accrued,..its similar to a planatary,..which in some cases use a shim..to remove any excessive lash,..NSI said in one of the reports that the "sloppiness" of the blades is removed in rotation once the prop exceeds 2500 rpm,..personally I don't think it should have any slop
    the reason why my interest in the prop ,..one of the kits I'm looking at has this prop,..and the guy selling is big on the prop,..using it's abilities as a selling point,..if I do purchase that kit I will most likely replace the prop.
    and the NSI CAP140 will be hangar wall paper.

Hi guys,
    with 10 years on my Cap 140 i am still a happy guy. BUT... :-) i took mine apart for an anual and now need to reset my gage. I can not find my prop book, does any one have the pitch set up to the gage end points.. i have my set up button but can not remember the sequence.

john

my prop des have the 3rd generation mods on it, much better thatn the 1st one.. no wiggle

Hi did you get the handbook?

I‘m also interested in that, since I want to take mine apart for maintainance.

Greets,
    Tuna