Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backup fuel pump for IO-240 engine

Smile Re: Backup fuel pump for IO-240 engine

I thought it would be good to follow up on what I have done so far. I was able to get a used Dukes pump where I work. Actually I put one together out of several green tagged pumps that came off of C-185s. I picked the best running motor I could find and mated a very low time pump assembly and got a "like new" boost pump. The nice thing about this pump is that is doesn't require a bypass line and check valve, it is already built into the pump.

I just finished making a mounting bracket and fuel lines from the header tank to the firewall. I kept the fuel line run as straight as possible and put the pump under the right seat and mounted the bracket to the bottom airframe tubes. I ended up buying an aluminum header tank from KF after reading all of the issues with the poly header tank that came with my plane.

I will need to set the correct fuel pressure/flow later on, but this pump should give me got atomization for priming and the ability to keep the engine running should the engine driven pump fail.

I will make a drain line later for the aux pump case drain. I think I will have it come out the bottom at the same place as the header tank sump. This line is one that should not have fuel draining out. If it is dripping you have leakage at the seal of the pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: Backup fuel pump for IO-240 engine

Nice job Phil, looks like a good clean setup with the backup pump. I had to have a parallel fuel line with a check valve because my holley didn't have the internal bypass that yours has . My IO-240 installation has 3 drains exiting at the lower mid firewall 1) eng driven case drain if the seal fails (there is a service bulletin to check the integrity of the seal) 2) manifold drain from the spider 3) cylinder drain for overpriming to prevent hydraulic lock. Bruce N199CL