I just built and am now flying off the 40 hours of my SS7. I am also a fairly new pilot with 160 hours total (in a Kitfox). Training in Boise with Stick & Rudder in their SS7 SLSA I always used full flaps for landings. On my kit built SS7 the full flap position is much more aggressive than the SLSA, and it was recommended to me by many on this forum and also John McBean that I use 1/2 flaps for landings until I become very familiar with the airplane-so that is what I have been doing.

Landing with 1/2 flaps is OK, but I miss the steeper approach angle that I got used to with full flaps on the SLSA. I did try some mock landings at altitude with full flaps in my own SS7, but the nose down pitch is so great that it is impossible to trim for a 60 mph approach speed and you come in with a lot of back stick pressure.

Short of taking my center console apart and cutting another flap detent notch between the 1/2 and full flap positions (which some guys are doing), what else can I do to get the steeper approach angle for short fields? What other wisdom or suggestions are out there? Are there any dangers in just using full flaps and holding the back pressure to carefully hold approach speed?

I would highly recommend that those of you still in the building process cut that extra notch before you rivet on the flap detent bracket.

Jim