Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Congrats, Ross.

Nice work, nice colour scheme and a good empty weight.
    I think mine will definitely end up heavier but , hopefully not too much.
    Been a delay on mine this year due to work and my son's last year in school.
    Exams on this next week and then we are into it.
    Rob

Hey Ross,
    I'm excited for you! I believe your maiden flight will be a very routine event due to you recent transition training with Stick & Rudder in Boise. I know it was for me; climbing into my brand new plane was just like another day in Boise and if you look at it that way it calms most of the butterflies.

A question: I was looking at your empty weight of 873 lbs and was surprised. My SS7 weighed in at 835 and I know Scott's and Doug's came in a little less than mine. They both have the same prop as you and pretty much all the same options. The only thing different is your 912is engine compared to our 912uls. Can it be that the new Rotax is engine is about 40-50 lbs heavier? Like you, none of us did anything particular to try to keep weight down. Are you going to operate to the 1500 lb gross weight limit, or are you limited to 1320 lbs per our light sport limit?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the comments guys - still not in the air though! We sit and wait for the actual bit of paper!!! A bit frustrating but useful time to recheck and think things through! It is good to hear from you to oBrandon - seems like only yesterday we were having breakfast in the backcountry! Now I see you are King of the STi!

Great to see all you OZ Kitfox guys surface aslo! I was wondering where you were up to Rob. It sounds like there will be progress in the next few months - good for you. Want to come up to little fly in in December? It is looking like we might have a nice gathering of some Kitfox aircraft - Read Jim's comment below - and Jono will be here with his 4, Matty (also a 4 Matt?) and Ben will probably be finished too! And Tom will be there in his people mover!

Jim, it is great to hear from you and I look forward to meeting with you and the others from over Yarram way. Is it your Kitfox Jim? I guess you would know Ben who is building the Model 7 at Sale? If you drop me a email (ross@imaginecgi.com) I will put you on the list for the email we are sending out next week re the fly-in. And Yarrum is on the list of places to visit earlier than later. We just gotta fly around Wilson's Prom (when there is a break in the weather)!

Anyway, a long drum roll, hurry up and wait, ho hum. 2 years to build, what's another few days? And besides, I need to co-ordinate with Mr Papua Pilot for the first flight!

cheers

ross

-
    Last edited by rosslr; 10-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Jim,

Good to hear from you. Yes, it is the 1550b (703kg here) and I too was a little surprised by the weight also, although on the bright side, it doesn't cause any issues with the W&B - a testimony to the design I guess. I am not sure just how to attribute the 'extra weight. Perhaps I should have weighed everyone with he engine but I didn't. I think the engine IS the major part of the 'extra' weight. As you say, Doug and Scott's configurations are pretty well identical with the tyres and Airmaster up front, so even allowing for extra paint (was pretty liberal) and a rather heavy Garmin 695 in the panel, I can't see much else to make up the difference. I have lost 6kg myself ( with another 6-7 to go!) so that will help!

thanks for the words re first flight too Jim. Appreciated.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Hi Ross, will send you an email. The Kitfox 4 owned by a friend and the Skyfox is mine. We do have a Highlander here on the field as well that the owner lets me fly...it may also come over to your flyin. Yes , I do know Ben. I haven't seen his project for a while but believe it will be magnificent when finished. I wish I had the patience to build as the 7 looks fantastic....Cheers....Jim.

Hey Ross, I was waiting for your first flight but I can say congrats twice right? Awesome job. She looks like a sweet bird and I am sure it will bring your years of enjoyment. I am looking forward to pictures of your first flight and for your "kitfox grin".

Hi Ross,

I am hoping to have the DAR inspect my plane on Saturday, but I'm not sure when the first flight will be.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default First Flight . ........ not yet....!!!!!

Well guys, it appears that I peaked a little early! I worked hard to get it all finished and even drove for 9 hours one day to visit the Approved Person to issue the Certificate of Airworthiness. Everything checked out and he was to issue the certificate in the following 'couple of days' - Alas, Friday night and no C of A and bad weather on the way! And I have to go away to work next week and up to Bali ......... An agonising exercise in managing disappointment but I guess i can just turn it into a positive. I have spent the time checking and rechecking things and taking several ....( no, many!) .... high (and higher!) speed taxi tests, I feel pretty confident in knowing how it lifts that tail and dances on those big fat mains! Even mowed/manicured the grass runway to perfection. Next I will be going to hanger at night switching on all the lights!

I will laugh about it one day. In the meantime, good luck with your inspection Phil and look forward to your results! And get a wiggle on Josh!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Sorry to hear about your delays Ross. I thought you were going to be flying before me. The earliest I will have my inspection will be on Tuesday. We are working on all the paperwork now, but the FAA person won't be in till Monday. I have a handful of things to check & do on my plane so that will keep me busy this weekend. I should be able to move into my hanger today or Sunday! I did the fuel tank sight gauge calibration with the help of my son.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Long drum roll!!!!

Well, tomorrow I leave for a little trip away for a couple of weeks and still I have not got the Certificate of Airworthiness in my hot little hand.

So, VH-RMQ sits all dressed and no where to go in the hanger!

I will be back on the 17th and then we will let her out to fly.... hopefully.

In the mean time, a long drum roll to first flight! and I have been doing some gardening that has been a bit neglected during the build - remember it is late spring/early summer down under....

Thanks for all of you who wished me well and sorry to raise expectations of 'first flight video' a little early. And go well Phil - I know you will sort the engine issue and I wish you a great first flight in that wonderful looking Kitfox - I will be up in Indonesia so ever time I look at the flag I will think of you!

cheers

r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ