Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 17 of 87 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Hi Ross, yeah on first inspection I didn't see the scribe line, it is faint and fairly close to the edge.

As for where the light is recessed in the tip, I took a hack saw and cut down all of the spar that was sticking past the last rib and then filed it smooth.

Cut all of that off

I Never got a great picture of it after it was cut but you can kin of see it here.

Thanks Neville and Josh. I will go to the hanger armer with magnifying glass and hacksaw and see what I can do!

cheers

r

I am amazed at how fast you are moving along. I hope you don't loose any
    steam.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I am following you guys, very aprenticeship.... like the pictures, end explanation........
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

You might want to look up the scalloping of the fiberglass leading edge before you permanently mount it. It results in a very neat look.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default wing tips!!!!

I wish I could say it was a really productive day, but ........... the wing tips have me stumped and I think I must be missing something. All suggestions welcomed ! I will also email John and Debra at Kitfox.

so, with the suggestions offered yesterday, I went off to the hanger with my magnifying glass this morning as suggested but no scribe line. I got my Gayle to check and another visitor. not just a boy look!

So, I took to the spar with the hacksaw and trimmed the over hang level with the outboard capstrip of #10 rib. At least that was successful!

So I re- read the instructions in the manual -even though it looks like they refer to older style wing tips, the principles appears the same. or maybe not?

Are there newer instructions that I have lost? Anyway, I thought a lot, looked through past posts here, got the tractor out and mowed the strip for an our or so, and bonded the LLE on to the wing. All suitable distractions to making a mess of the wing tips by not being clear what I am doing!

So here are a few pics that explain it. the first 2 photos show that the wing tip fits fairly well with no cutting at all. but I accept it can be better but I have no reference point to cut to. The 3rd photo shows the other problem. With the tip lined up level with the leading edge, the trailing edge does not line up with the trailing edge of the rest of the wing!

I think I am missing something or doing something wrong!?

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rosslr; 02-04-2014 at 02:21 AM.

I have the older tips -- no light provision. Those end up extending quite a bit past the trailing edge. I still need to cut off the excess and figure out how best to shape the remainder, which ends up a little fat at the trailing edge.

I think I'd prefer your problem, where the tip is a bit short and you can just fill in the gap with SuperFil or something.

Looks good to me.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I think Doug is right. I would add glue on a piece of Clark foam, then shape it to fit, then a layer of 10 ounce fiber glass, a layer of 6 ounce fiber glass.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I wonder if they switched suppliers as my wing tips are too long and need the ends trimmed off.

Also Ross, with out trimming to your scribe lines, if you step back and look at the tip on the wing, does everything look straight, true, and level with the rest of the wing? If it does, maybe they now supply the wing tips already trimmed?

My "scribe" lines looked like a parting line in the mold that was used to lay up the part.