Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Question about bushing for the elevator pushrod Kitfox III

Default Question about bushing for the elevator pushrod Kitfox III

I have a Kitfox III which I didn't build myself. The elevator pushrod runs through a round support about half way back in the rear part of the fuselage. I have the plans and they call out for a"FBU 62" bushing; elevator control tube guide which I presume fits into the hole in the control tube guide back in the fuselage. Deb at Kitfox says they can provide the part.

I cant find a drawing in the plans that shows this bushing or how it installs. Im wondering if I have to cut open the fabric to install the bushing and how to go about getting the bushing on the pushrod tube and into the control tube guide.

Right now the pushrod tube goes through the control tube guide without this bushing.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Default Re: Question about bushing for the elevator pushrod Kitfox III

Pete,
    This is an issue I have thought bout a lot over the years. Once the rivets that secure the push tube ends are in place, the bushing is there to stay unless it is cut off, then the new bushing won't fit over the rivets to install a new bushing. On my first Model IV, I had the bushing work its way out of the tube guide and getting it back in and secured was a chore. With that in mind, I made up a split bushing that fits inside the tuber guide and is secures by a retaining ring.

If you would like some help with this project drop a PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Pete

Here is a copy of the build page in pdf format on installing the pushrod bearing. I had issues when building with the rod not passing through the bushing smoothly. I had to sand and smooth the bearing and also smoothed the tube. I cut 1 slit on the bearing and used hysol cement to keep it in place. With only one slit, it can't be spread apart enough to fit over the tube without deforming it, so you will have to detach the tube from the elevator end and spread it just enough to go over the rivets and slide the bearing down the tube and cement it to the guide. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Here's a picture of my belly. I installed an inspection hole ring about 6 inches behind the bushing when I covered so I could get in there to clean and regrease it at annual time. One handed didn't work too well so I put another ring on 6 inches in front later for two hands to get in there.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

On my model-4, my elevator push rod can be removed with the stock bushing in place. You See, when I built the push rod, I special ordered some exact length pop rivets so that the push rod ends would be riveted on with almost flush rivets (the ones they give you are too long and stick up). Works great.
    hope this helps
    Roger

I think.the bushing on mine is missing?it won't slide at all
    Last edited by Durham66; 06-03-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durham66 View Post
    I think.the bushing on mine is missing?it won't slide at all
    Your bushing is there. I think if the tube won't slide something else somewhere in the linkage is restricting it.

It looks like yours needs to be cleaned up and re greased. I can Wrap a kitchen paper towel around the tube and hold on to it and slide the tube back and forth with the towel going through the bushing to wipe the old grease out then put new grease on the tube at each condition inspection.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The bushing on my model 2 has come loose from the bracket it is attached to on the fuselage and is now just on the elevator push rod. I was able to easily slide it back in place, but it quickly worked itself back out. Does anyone know whether it is supposed to be glued into place? I haven't found how the bushing is actually kept in place on the bracket in the fuselage. Any help would be great.

I have owned two Model IVs and in the time I have had them - about 12 years there was one time I needed to get the press fit bushing out for a maintenance issue. My first impression would be to score the outside of the bushing to give a roughness that would help a structural epoxy fasten it in place. Then remembering the need to remove the bushing that one time in order to remove the push rod, my thinking now would be to drill through the steel housing and partially into the bushing, then fabricate a short pin that would secure the two together and hold it in place with a circle clamp.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks very much for the info Highwing. So the bushing was originally simply pressed in and wasn't retained in any form other than friction? Perhaps I need to press it back in with a bit more effort and lubricate the push rod. My plane has an access hole under and to the slight aft of the push rod, so I can gain access for this.

Maybe I will try pressing it in a little further and lubricate with it boeshield t-9 and monitor it.