Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Horizontal stab incidence.

Default Horizontal stab incidence.

Question for those flying a 7 with manual trim...
    Looking at my horizontal stab, it for some reason seams like it has too negative of an incidence when using the recommended 18" rod length. My leading edge rod is right at the prescribed 18" but can't get past the thought that there's going to be a need for a lot of forward pressure on the stick to maintain level flight.
    My question is more specifically this:
    Being that my solo test flight CG is 14" (little aft), did anyone find a striking need to change the rod length from 18" to maintain level flight?
    Thanks!

Hi Wade,

I was actually flight testing when I decided I needed to shorten the rod length. I measured the hole depths and the rod end thread length, and cut off the difference on each end. Less than 1/4". That did it. My CG was similar. She flies hands off.
    Good luck.

Denise and Rocky Whitman
    S7 IFA IVO 912S
    Austin

Hi Wade,
    My trim problem went the other way. I raised the pitch by running the rod ends out about an inch to get my nose down. This works great until I get to gross weight. So it'll take you a bit of testing to find that sweet spot.

One thing I'm considering is replacing the rod with the electric trim actuator. That way I have a flying horizontal with micro adjust (manual) trim - the best of both worlds.

Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    S7a 912S w/IFA IVO medium