I did my first 912ULS engine startup today. The engine was purchased 2.5 years ago for my kit and it started up today after only about 3 seconds of cranking with choke on. Fired up and ran nice just like it had been used regularly. Oil pressure came up immediately and all gauges looked good as it warmed up. All my Dynon supplied engine sensors seemed to be reading correctly right out of the box. After oil reached 122 F I shut it down and did the lifter check per the book and all was OK. Of course I had previosly done the oil system purge with air pressure per the book. All looks well and I am ready to do the pneumatic carb sync next. I was surprised how smooth it ran with just a careful mechanical carb sync.

Factory idle setting was right at 1800 rpm. They say you can go as low as 1400 rpm. What idle setting do you guys use?

Max WOT rpm was 5300. Just a little high- recommended is 5150 rpm. I set my ground adjustable blades just like the factory said to do it and it came out real close (5300 rpm) on the first try. I just need to tweak the blade angle to just a little more coarse to get down to the 5150 rpm.

All in all, a very satisfying day after being very nervous about the first start.

Is there any break-in procedure for these engines? I can't seem to find anything in the Rotax literature about it. I know they are run in on a dyno at the factory, so maybe the break-in is already done?

Jim