Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throttle linkage

Default Re: Throttle linkage

I would like to change from the crappy cables and springs on my model IV , but I have Lowell's gizmo for syncing carbs . it makes it so easy to sync that I won't give it up
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Smile Re: Throttle linkage

Just to update the thread, I changed the friction lock fiber washers and installed the less tension springs from McFarland for the Rotax. System works like a charm now, very smooth and I don't have to tighten the friction lock very much to hold throttle position. Problem solved!!!

Dick B

Great to hear! Nice to have a relatively easy fix...Good Job Dick B.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    I took the return springs off of the carbs on my 912. The throttle cables are thick enough to move the carb linkages with no issues. I barely have to use the friction nut. Since there are no springs it stays where you put it with just a little tightening. I think there are several people on here that took them off as well.
    I am new to this kitfox4 with a 912ul but I don't like the throttle it goes to full throttle by itself. I have to constantly lock and unlock the throttle or hold it all the time. So you are saying to remove the string on the carb and this will be ok the engine will run smooth and not stall out?

Alan- depends on which throttle cable system you have. There are a couple different cable systems on model 4's. I use the stiffer throttle cable from Kitfox Aircraft. It is strong enough to push the carbs to wide open throttle without help from the springs. I removed both springs.
    A photo of yours would help determine if you could do without the springs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I know there are two Bing 64 Carbs and there are two cables going into the throttle assembly the year was 1996 when it was started and finished in 1998 can't get a picture because the plane is in a hanger. I saw the spring on the carb it's about 1 1/2" long. The cable bolts to the carb and then the ends are connected with a set screw to carb linkage with the spring pulling it down.

the springs on the carbs tend to be a safety-item: when cables break they will be pulled open (unless you have the sprung-close version - but I can't imagine why that could be) and you could make it to the field with a running engine.....

I too have changed the springs for 'softer' ones: my Vernier-throttle kept moving forward (to the spring, = throttle-up), but now I've done that, the issue is over.

I wouldn't like to fly whithout'm.

Happy Flying!!

On my second Model IV, I put the softer springs on the carburetors and am having second thoughts about it. About every fourth or fifth landing, the engine will quit as I touch and it doesn't want to start right away which leaves me blocking a runway.

My first Model IV had the strong springs, but I put a counteracting spring between the center arm of the bellcrank and the firewall which took out all the tendency for the throttle to run to full if the knob was bumped. My feeling is that there is some slop in the system due to the softer springs which makes the throttle setting on final not as precise as I would like. I never had the engine quitting problem with my first set-up.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I have the same set up that Lowell described on his first set up with a counter spring between the bellcrank and firewall with almost neutral tension. Now over 600 hours with no issues. I just wasn't comfortable with the full throttle idea especially on the ground.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Thanks for the response Paul. It got me on the computer and I ordered new springs from Lockwood and will be converting to the old system when they come. With the original system, I think the stronger springs are necessary with the possibility of play in the two separate cable runs. I also feel that it would be more difficult to sync the carburetors if the spring tension was not strong enough to overcome all friction in the system.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel