Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warp drive vs IVO?

Default Re: Warp drive vs IVO?

Thanks for the info Steve. I will have to seriously take a second look at a prop when I get to that point. LSA is not an issue for me, building it with the heavy gross weight too, so I could put the switch on the panel.

I see IVO now has a constant speed governor. Just plug in line with the wiring harness. Anyone?

Not so sure about the Ivo constant speed governor. I know a couple guys that tried them and removed them after fiddling trying to get them work. I don't see the need for the added complexity and the extra inputs into the pitch change motor throughout the flight. When Ivo brought the prototype to Phoenix to test in one of our members Kitfox years ago it looked interesting but my thought is spend the money on something more important or at least more wow factor. You definately don't need it to get max enjoyment out of your Ivo or your Kitfox. But to each his own.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I put my prop on. No extra washers. Just threw it on. I can't do a static also. Why? to much power, the brakes don't hold. I take off, real short by the way, like less than 200ft. As I'm taking off I either have to, pull back on the power, goes over 5800 or touch the switch and bring down the rpm's. Either way is ok. If I want to get the heck out of dodge, than I just keep full throttle and touch the switch little by little until I'm cruising and at 5500. Simple, and FAST. Meaning I'm getting out of dodge FAST.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

You can put washers on as a stop to keep it at 5800 max, right? With no governor I could manage it manually, but like the idea of a little back up.

Ya, but if you like to take off and go straight up. You want all the rpm's you can muster.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

What's red line on the motor, 5800 rpm? If you had full throttle and set the stops at low pitch to hit 5800 rpm, you've got max power.

Ya, but you can lower the rpm's by pulling up. There is no way to static this type of thing in my opinion. Trust me, no washers against the motor and you get a great take off but you will need to hit the switch to repitch as you are flying out. Sooner if you just do a normal take off, not at all when your having fun. Placement of the switch is critical, I put mine right next to the throttle, my thumb is on the switch, the palm of my hand on the throttle, oh and friction lock is the way to go. I have down for less rpm, up for more rpm.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Sure, makes sense. You have no choice butto manage it all with no governor. That's a step up in price for a prop. Good thing I don't need one right away.

Nathaniel,

Give a call when you get a chance.. I am also looking at another governor.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Nathaniel, there are instructions for using the washer stops with the prop if you want to go through the little setup process. It's not hard. Did I do it? No. Like Steves , mine is right out of the box installed and flown.
    I can easily go over 5800 rpms (which is redline) if not careful. I do have the switch in the same place Steve does for the quickest adjustments to keep me at max performance and just out of the redline for take-offs.
    I also have the Grand Rapids Technologies EIS for the Rotax 912S. My rpm warning parameter is set at 5800 for extra precaution against over revving. I get a bright yellow flashing light in my face if it gets close. At the higher rpms on the Rotax it is difficult to hear if you are at or over redline (5800 rpms). The EIS really helps in this department.
    The washer stops for someone new to the prop are a good idea and not hard to install. You can always remove them if you want after you get aquainted with the system. The Ivo in-flight adj. Medium prop and the 912S make a very formidable and reliable combination for getting the most out of your Kitfox. Now if Rotax only made a non-turboed 120 hp fuel injected four stroke four cylinder engine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear