Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kit fox 2 upgrades

Default Kit fox 2 upgrades

Hi guys- new to the forum and kit foxes in general, I have already bought a vans rv7a but have discovered that my mission has changed. I am considering buying a kit fox in flying condition, my questions are this- obviously there are big changes between the different models, does it make sense to buy a older version (like a 2,4 or 5) and upgrade it? Has anyone out there done anything like this? Thoughts, input? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Kit fox 2 upgrades

My advise find a nice Model 4 or 5 with a Rotax 912 80 or 100hp and forget the 1 2 & 3's there Model 1 & 2'sw have low max wts 950 and less the Model is 1050 lbs some early 4's are 1050 later 1200 lbs. By the time yopu get done spending the money on the older ones you could have a nice flying 4 0r 5.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

My experience is with the Model IV. I am not a big guy so the Model IV is my perfect airplane. Nimble and light. With the Model IV-1200 the only modification I can think of that might have any substantive effect would be the enlarged elevator with elevator trim. This assuming the typical fairings have already been installed.

You mentioned a different mission than the 7a. What are your thoughts?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

When I bought the 7a I was traveling with my Mooney more and doing more trips, however I've noticed the last couple of years the plane just sits( no one in my family seems to like to fly) and pretty much all I do is local sightseeing trips. So I figure maybe I'll try something more challenging(tail wheel or seaplane)

So my thought lately is to sell my mooney and the 7a kit, and buy a flying kitfox/avid/zenith therefore saving some huge $$$(hanger,fuel, insurance, annuals, etc).

I have found a few kitfox 2 for around 10k that I could cash out on, and as I sell my other items I thought I could either upgrade it- or buy another kit. I'm thinking that way I have something to fly while I am building something else. My ultimate goal is to have something with a glass panel-that I could put on floats.

Scott,
    I think your thoughts are pretty common. Mine is different, though similar. I gave up flying in the mid 70s, then bought my first Model IV in 1993. I put 900 hours on it mostly flying, as you say, local sight seeing flights, visits to other Kitfox builders and the annual Idaho trip with a group of other Kitfoxers to explore the back country. It made flying fun - really fun.

There are some very experienced float pilots on the forum for
    help and advice there.

As a side story regarding Certified General Aviation and its costs. A friend and neighbor - Christen Eagle and Beach Baron, came by with this story. His Baron has a prop that requires an inspection at 500 hours or five years. His was declared to have blades that were too short and could not be certified as airworthy. He needed new blades and called the manufacturer about new blades . The comment from the other end, "Are you sitting down?" He was quoted $42,000 for three blades for his propeller. When I asked what his airplane was worth, he said about $85,000.

I think you would enjoy a Kitox.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

68niou1, I am building a Kitfox SS and live in Liberty Lake. PM me with contact instructions and you can come out to see my project. I am installing Dynon Skyview system. Real close to covering. I work swing shift M-F, so morning or Saturday visit would work if you are interested.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Ok guys, some more questions-
    If I buy a flying model 4 I understand I won't have the repairmans certificate which requires me to have a annual condition inspection done by a A/P. Can I still install a skyview myself? How hard is it to put a model 4 on floats? Any areas of concern on the model 4 to look for(known issues) ?

Thanks for the help-

Scott

As the owner, you can do any maintenance, repairs, modifications, upgrades to your experimental amateur built plane you want. Some may require you to return to a test flight period (major change). See the operating limitations of the plane and your local FSDO office.

There are a couple IV float fliers on this forum. Av8rPS is very knowledgeable and worth contacting on the subject.

In general a IV is a very solid little plane. There aren't any major "gotchas" that I can think of. (I am a little biased, though. ) Look over the quality and general workmanship of the builder for any stand out items. A good A&P should be able to help with a general pre-buy inspection. These planes are very simple.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

So tonight I joined your ranks. Thank you everyone for your answers. The kitfox community is very impressive so far