Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I Fly ... Work ... Live ... and Play

Default Re: Where I Fly ... Work ... Live ... and Play

This weekend we visited a new place:
    No Runway Required
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I am very jealous

Guess I'll have to consider "Go West young man, Go West"!
    Lou
    KitFox II

Thata a good one Steve. I like trying to figure out where you're going to land as I watch these videos. I picked several wrong spots on this one.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Tom, LOL!! That's the fun part. Scouting an area to determine if it's safe to land, which direction, prevailing winds, etc.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

we need to go flying together. looks like a lot of fun. my kind of flying

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Tom, LOL!! That's the fun part. Scouting an area to determine if it's safe to land, which direction, prevailing winds, etc.
    It's pretty easy to know where to land when there is another plane ahead of you! I paused it and saw the Airplane sitting in the field on the right side of the screen. Now I must admit, I have followed SkySteve into a strip in Idaho, I would have never found it because it's not on the sectionals, I had never flown over the area, much less flown in Idaho before, and at the time I would not have had the nerve landing there by myself. Hell in Tejas, if I'd land on a field that nice, I'd have a farmer or rancher come out and explain to me I shouldn't be landing on his field. I'd be picking bird shot or Rock Salt out of my ass for a week, and I'd be trying to figure out how long it was going to take me to patch all those little holes in my fabric. There are not many areas in Texas that are public lands. If you don't know the owner, you are Trespassing.

I must admit landing a Tri-Gear in some of the places you have landed would take flying over before trying to land. Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing you later this year.

I forgot to Gig you. Your just showing off again, rubbing our noses in it with all of the nice places you have to fly. Man that is a beautiful area!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

that's where you go in on a touch and go and do it once

Slyfox, if you come to the Kitfox Fly-In I'm hoping we will get some backcountry flying time.

Paul, you know just too darn much information! And, yes, I had flown over that spot before to survey the area. It is a private ranch and we did have the ranch manager's permission to land there. In fact, we took him with us on this flight! (Always a good way to get future landing rights) The other plane (my current flying buddy) landed about 30 minutes prior to my arrival as we were coming from different airports.

I suppose many of us have landed someplace, jumped out and taken a few photos real quick, then taken off in a hurry just to make certain someone doesn't come up and start asking questions. One of the keys to "stealth flight" is 3" tail numbers, located right above the horizontal stab.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

3" Letters another reason to go from an SLSA to an ELSA.

I did a take off and landing at a private strip on the way to Dirty SA area. I could do some off airport work on my Cousins place, 300 miles to the South. He's got 300 acres, I'm not sure if there is a flat spot big enough, smooth enough, or no covered with scrub cedar, and oak trees, or being gravel mined. Humm the Gravel quarry does have a big flat area. I need to call him.

I have actually found 3 grass strips I'm planning on terrorizing in a couple of weeks. One is at Fort Parker near Mexia, Texas. It is a really nice unattended grass strip. They ask that you call in for permission. As soon as I get my Advanced Flight System back that is my destination.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Slyfox, if you come to the Kitfox Fly-In I'm hoping we will get some backcountry flying time.

Paul, you know just too darn much information! And, yes, I had flown over that spot before to survey the area. It is a private ranch and we did have the ranch manager's permission to land there. In fact, we took him with us on this flight! (Always a good way to get future landing rights) The other plane (my current flying buddy) landed about 30 minutes prior to my arrival as we were coming from different airports.

I suppose many of us have landed someplace, jumped out and taken a few photos real quick, then taken off in a hurry just to make certain someone doesn't come up and start asking questions. One of the keys to "stealth flight" is 3" tail numbers, located right above the horizontal stab.
    and being white