Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microfiber Cleaning Wipes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Microfiber Cleaning Wipes

Out at the airport yesterday, and needed to clean the plane. But no supplies
    at hand. In the file cabinet by the bench, I had two unopened packages
    called "The Glosser Microfiber Cleaning Wipes with Wax", which I was
    given at some point. I figured what the heck, I'll give them a try.

They work great! Bug splats, dust, belly grime, everything came right off
    and the plane looks like new. I was so happy with them I stopped by the local
    pepboys and bought a few more packs of them for postflight wipe downs.

Jeff

Default Re: Microfiber Cleaning Wipes

I discovered the benefits of microfiber a year or so ago. Sounds like the cloths you found are treated with something, what happens when they get dirty and you wash them?

I have tried lots of different techniques for removing bugs after each flight over the five aircraft I've owned now and believe my current system is the best so far. After each flight, at least where there are bug accumulations, I take a standard 16x16 microfiber cloth, saturate it with water from a 5 gallon jug I keep in the hangar, and wipe down the leading edges, gear legs, wheel pants, and prop. I've tried every type of "quick wax" or "detailer" on the market with standard terry towels and the water/microfiber removes the bugs the fastest, go figure.
    Then when I want to get the light dust off everything else I'll use a larger microfiber towel with Turtlewax Express Shine. This works great on the plexi too. Anyway, that's my system and it's the best combination of materials and techniques I've tried so far.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Randy -

It might be it's just the microfiber itself, who know's... The ones I have
    called the glosser are disposable, and have some kind of fluid in them,
    with supposedly a wax. Whatever it is, they sure work great. I've
    scrubbed the leading edges with regular rags, and it's a lot of work to
    get the bugs guts off, these things make it a bunch easier. I started
    to do some minor cleanup, and ended up wiping down the entire plane
    and then waxing it after I finished. Looks ready for a show now, too
    bad I'm going out hopping grass strips next time out.

Jeff

Curious ..have you guys tried out the new turtle wax "ICE" ?
    you can use it on plastic,glass,..vynl,..paint,..it makes the surfaces look brand new,..I know on my pick up the external rear view mirrors are black plastic.and also the windhsield wiper panel is black plastic.I just wipe it on ..instantly it looks brand new ,..also the inner black plastic fender walls,..you can apply it in dirrect sunlight too,.if you have a faded composite prop or any faded plastic parts ,..I'll bet it makes it look brand new too ,..with exception to the plastic headlight covers,..for some reason it doesn't remove that yellowish tint ,..which is probably on the inside that I can not get to,....the only thing I have not tried it on is leather..but the next time I think of it ,..I'll try it on an old saddle to see
    what it does.
    oh I forgot ..also rubber ..hoses ,..windows rubbers,,etc..it works better then armor all,..although I have not tried it on tires
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 05-02-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: forgot something

As for Turtle Wax Ice, I'll say the following: I've already applied it to the surface polished with another product, so I didn't notice any special effect, but one thing I can say, it really does not leave any divorce!

Cool Re: Microfiber Cleaning Wipes

I learned a trick from a friend. He uses fabric softener sheets for bugs and they come right off but do not polish for a shine. I also have been trying ICE but I think lemon pledge work well.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Out at the airport yesterday, and needed to clean the plane. But no supplies
    at hand. In the file cabinet by the bench, I had two unopened packages
    called "The Glosser Microfiber Cleaning Wipes with Wax", which I was
    given at some point. I figured what the heck, I'll give them a try.

They work great! Bug splats, dust, belly grime, everything came right off
    and the plane looks like new. I was so happy with them I stopped by the local
    pepboys and bought a few more packs of them for postflight wipe downs.

Jeff

while working at a motorcycle show I discovered a product called Bugslide. It works awesome and you can use it on the entire plane. It comes with a microfiber polishing rag and there an additional microfiber scrubbing rag available that makes scrubbing the stubborn bugs off a breeze.

Motorcycle products work great because they have to be safe for acrylic and polycarbonate because motorcycle windshields are made of these materials like our airplane windows. I use a product called "Bike spirits", but there are many out there for motorcycles. Bike spirits works very well for me.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Personally, I often use microfiber for cleaning surfaces. However, you have to be careful when washing such wipes. It is customary for the description of each cloth to state that detergents shall not be used when washing such cloths because otherwise the microfibre may lose its properties.

I believe that it’s fabric softener that shouldn’t be used. Soap or detergent is necessary to get them clean. Fabric softener seems to break down the cloth & cause it to shed “micro-fibers”. You can see this especially if you use them for cleaning eye glasses. The smoother, less “fuzzy” cloths seem less vulnerable to this than the ones that are more like terrycloth.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime