Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member questions about build

Default New member questions about build

Morning all! New member here. I would like some insight into the skills required to build an S7 SS. I would take advantage of the quick build wings and most likely utilize a 912S. I have built many scale r/c planes, up to 50% scale and have built all the ribs for an experimental Fisher Dakota Hawk from spruce, but that is all. I have simple woodworking tools, router, belt sander, drills but no machining equipment, rivet guns, welders etc. I have plenty of indoor space to build and a good budget. I have followed a few build logs here and there but most seemed to construct the wings themselves. I am a pilot in training and if I build the SS would train at Stick & Rudder. I have been in contact with the factory to get shipping estimates and delivery times.

Any info or directed links to appropriate links/threads would be appreciated.

JB

Default Re: New member questions about build

In short, I think you have it all. Many of the build steps might be first timers at that particular skill, but your experience tells me you already have the ability to pick up new things easily. I have built two Model IVs, finished a "V and there are not any steps that a person with basic tool skills couldn't accomplish - especially with the occasional advice from those who might be just a step or two ahead of you. Think of it as building a full scale model with an excellent set of plans.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

HW, thanks for the input. I was in SoCal on Easter checking out a Dakota Hawk (plane I have built ribs for) and that plane, which was beautiful BTW, is 37.5hours into Phase 1 testing. I know about the de Havilland Mosquito and all, but all that wood is making me nervous! Not to mention that much of the aircraft graded spruce I received was warped/twisted due to climate differences in AZ (gets brittle during the shipping) not sure I want to trust it after re-acclimating it with humidity! My wife saw the crooked spruce and said, your not going to use that wood are you!!!???

JB

Quote Originally Posted by JBAZ View Post
    ...much of the aircraft graded spruce I received was warped/twisted due to climate differences in AZ...
    JB
    The difference between the factory wing build option and the builder build is the rigging and assembly. All ribs and spars are prefabricated by the factory. Some trimming of the spars are in the instructions, but that can be done with hand tools if necessary. The ribs are of top quality Finland Birch plywood factory jigged and assembled - need epoxy varnish. Some minor trimming on some ribs might be necessary, but only minor stuff.

Regarding the Dakota Hawk. I doubt there are structural issues with wood warping. Aerodynamic issues possibly, but the 37 hours in phase I suggests that the airplane is flying straight and true.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The woods that use in the Kitfox kit are made from plywood, this meteriel is more resistent to warping that solide piece of lumber and few parts are made from plywood, all structure are Precision welded 4130 Chromoly Steel like Fuselage, Rudder, Stabilizer and Elevator, the wood parts are there just to give the proper shape to the lifting ant directional surfaces!!

I really think that the Kitfox Super Sport, is one of the best kit that you can purchase (quality vs price) for a fun plane to fly!!!
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Resale is also an issue that I have been considering. Since I am planning on a glass panel (EFIS/EMS) and a 912s, I can easily put either $50k into the Hawk total or about $65 or so into the SS. I think the most I could expect to get out of the Hawk would be $25-$30k, being that it is less known, only 30 flying and of course it is wood. Seems the resale of the SS (if you could even find one for sale) would be much better AND more potential buyers.

Most of all for me is the availability of flight training in the same type of aircraft.

Seems like I am talking myself into the SS!

JB

Here is what sold me on Kitfox:
    • Brand new plane for the same price as a very used certified aircraft.
    • Folding wings so I can share hanger space.
    • Kit quality and aircraft performance.
    • Factory support.
    • Demo flight was awsome.
    • STOL capabilities.
    • No welding and nearly no solid riveting.
    • Rotax 912s engine reputation and fuel economy-about half the burn rate at cruise compared to most certified Cessnas, Pipers, etc. and the ability to use auto fuel.
    • Build manual is the best out there.
    • A factory visit impressed me with their organization, neatness, cleanliness, fixtures. A class outfit.
    • Side by side seating.
    • Useful load capacity.
    • A long successful and safe history. About 4000 planes built and flying I beleive.
    • A very beautiful and pleasing to the eye airplane. Just look at some of the slab sided, breadbox looking competitors out there.
    Mine is now nearly done and ready for AW inspection. The build went well without any problems and I would recommend it to anyone.

Jim

JB,
    I'm a long way from being done, but to date I would say that my biggest two issues have been:
    1. Developing a workflow.
    -Read the plans
    -Think about how I want to accomplish the detailed task
    -Gather the parts
    -Read the plans
    -THINK ABOUT IT AGAIN
    - Do it
    2. Stopping when I'm done with that task.
    -It is easy for me to get into the building mindset and not stop and think about what I'm doing or how to accomplish it in a manner I'm going to be happy with when I done. I have a few extra holes here and there but I suppose that will offset some of the fluff weight I'm sure to add later.

I would second Jim's comments, great kit, just follow the directions, anyone with a basic skills set and modest tool supply can accomplish.

I'm sure you will be happy if you decide to join the "Family"

Kebo

Kebo and Jim thanks for the insight. May I ask, are you using the quick build wings?

Do you need to build a long workbench for assembly? Reason I ask is that would be my next step with the Hawk build, that is, to build a perfectly flat 4 x16 foot table. I have the spar material to construct the spars already so I may just build them and then decide which plane to build. I have only invested about $1k so far and maybe 100 hours in building 26 full ribs and 24 false ribs. A lot of joy in building those ribs actually, the smell of spruce is nice

Ahhhh decisions.

JB

JB,
    I have most of the options including the quick build wings. Not because I was afraid I couldn't build them because of the time factor; a 60 hour work week, family.....

Take a look at the photo albums, you will see some talented people building some beautiful aircraft. Here is a link to Bob Myer's Facebook page that will give you an excellent overview of the build process:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=9f3a0c208e

Just an example of many.

Kebo