Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member questions about build

Default Re: New member questions about build

Quote Originally Posted by JBAZ View Post
    Do you need to build a long workbench for assembly?
    JB
    If you were to opt to build the wings rather than buying the Quick Build option, two sawhorses that are parallel to each other on top is all you would need. In the earlier manuals - can't speak for the new ones specifically - the saw horses were fixed to the floor with Bondo during the wing build.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

JB,
    Here is link to Tom Waid's website, where is documenting his build. Tom opted to build the wings and does a great job giving an overview of his build to date. The link below will take to his wing page

http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Pro...ing%20Assembly

Kebo

Kebo thanks for the links. I spent a couple of hours last night reviewing Bob M's build. Will check out the other link tonight. Nice to see there are/were some SS builders within driving distance too!

JB

I built a wing jig in the morning and had a wing assembled by that evening. Both wings were assembled and rigged on the fuselage in three days. It was an enjoyable project and not difficult.

To be fair, I did use a vertical mill to cut the bird mouths in the spar reinforcements. That chore on the mill was about 30 minutes including setup. Doing that with a hand saw and files would take at least a day.

Even so, I don't think a builder saves any significant time with the quick build wings when you look at a year or more for the total build.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Even so, I don't think a builder saves any significant time with the quick build wings when you look at a year or more for the total build.

John
    I couldn't agree more. I am sure it took me longer than a day - it probably took a day for me to rig and secure the fixtures, but over the course of the five years it took to build my first project it really didn't set me back very much.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

From the input you have all provided and reading a few builder logs it seems very "doable" on my part. Thank you all for the insight. Broaching the subject of resale value, am I correct in my line of thinking? I could only find one SS for sale and it has an o-200 (I don't think a -D motor), Dynon glass for $53k. I have been expecting that whatever I build it would sell for less than I spend on it, not looking to make any $ just not to build a decent plane and have it sell for less than 50% of my real $ investment.

JB

I think you are quite safe planning on resale < 100% but > 50%. Based on what I have seen, resale around 80% of your original investment seems about normal.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default How about installing the 912 uls?

I have to admit that I am very "lacking" in the engine/powerplant knowledge area. Besides installing gas motors (2-strokes) in the 50-100cc range on my r/c planes, I have very little knowledge in the engine department. I have been reading "Firewall Forward" by Bingelis just to get some basics, but the book was published before the 912 was in use. So my question is: how difficult is the engine installation of a 912? I would especially like to hear from any of you who had little experience with powerplants (if there are any such builders) that were able to succssfully accopmplish the task.

Thanks,
    JB

Hi JB,

I found the installation of the 912ULS engine per the manual to be quite straightforward. No voodoo involved at all. Pretty much all understandable mechanics and little or no art required.

Hanging and installing the engine and engine systems (fuel, oil, exhaust, induction, electrical) was fun, interesting and didn't take long at all.

A couple comments - hoses, wires, etc under the cowl need to be routed in a secure manner to prevent chafing or heat damage - a person has to think that through a bit since the general instruction to do so doesn't necessarily include every possible detail a person can run into.

The deal is...if you follow the manual it is hard to go wrong.

If you belong to an EAA chapter (if you don't belong - go join a chapter), the association has a tech counselor program which can be real useful in getting coaching on acceptable practices in aircraft construction. It's hard to beat a face to face consult in the presence of your project with someone who has seen a lot of bulding and repair.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear It was not voodoo at all.
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Dave, thanks for the info. I am an EAA member and there is a local chapter about 40 minutes from me. I was planning on bringing a few of my wooden DH ribs to have them examine them (chapter pres is building a wood biplane). The Hawk I saw had a 912 uls installed and it was the builders 1st airplane build (still in Phase 1).

JB