Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: N37TP update

Default N37TP update

Yesterday was the first time for proving that the model 4 speedster will actually fit inside the skeleton of the enclosed trailer. It may be a little difficult to see in this photo but clearances are satisfactory all the way around. I've decided to go with .060 rubber roofing over a thin plywood for the roof which would be very similar to the material used on campers and motorhomes. The side walls and doors will get a prefinished .030 aluminum skin, probably white. The paint blotches on the cowling are test patches. This airplane was complete and flying back in the day and they used 5 different colors for a paint scheme. I looks like a layer of epoxy primer is necessary to separate the old from new paint.
    I'd like to take full credit for the trailer design but much of the innovative ideas came from my flying chum/ace fabricator Dave Engle up in central Square NY. He came up with the trough in the floor for the tailwheel which helped give us that wedge shape.
    Tom Parkhurst
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: N37TP update

Looks good Tom, that will make a nice trailer and the wedge should help to ease the pull.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

This is one of the better designs I have seen for a Kitfox trailer.

The boat trailer style undercarriage provides a long distance from the hitch to the trailer wheels which should reduce wind effects and sway.
    The CG of the airplane is behind the trailer wheels which helps offset the normally heavy tongue load.
    Hitch to cargo box distance allows near 90 degree backing angle without jack knife interference.
    Low frontal area reduces towing drag.
    Wheel well undercut carried forward simplifies skeleton attachment to trailer frame.

Good design all around.

JTP

good looking trailer, i would add bogey wheels or rollers at the very back under the last cross member so that the cross member does not drag when pulling into a gas station drive way. Pace trailers offers the rollers as an option and i always ordered them on our race trailers. you can go to there web site and see them there.

Thanks guys for the kind words. The chassis actually is a boat trailer that was pretty much abandoned in a sea of weeds. My welder has done a couple trailers for trike transport and is well aware of the functional aspect of this project. At first I was somewhat reluctant to build a single purpose design but the closer it gets to completion along with some positive comments from actual Kitfox owner/flyers is very encouraging.

Definitely looking good! I have had an idea to build something similar but have never gotten a round to doing so.
    With the large flat surface on the rear of the trailer, there will be some turbulence/drag. Have you considered putting some type of airflow panels on the rear? Not sure if I am explaining this right.....but sort of like what you see on a semi-trailer....makes somewhat of a 'funnel' shape to help with mileage. Just and idea.

Tom,

Great job.

Can you share what kind of material you used for the "skeleton"....type and dimensions?

THX

DS

Dave,
    the small tubing is 1'X1" 16ga the larger square tubing that's used in the floor and corners is 2" 16 ga. I took a few more pics since this seems to be drawing some interest. The ideas for bogie wheels and rear spoiler sound good. I thought the rear door latch turned out good. It's something you've seen many times as a youngster. That latch is used on school buses for the emergency doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks to be one slick setup.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I can't help but comment that these pics make me think that Tom just got back from a safari where he captured a wild Kitfox. Hopefully after some training he can let it rome freely out of its cage
    (been a long day, may be a little punchy)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive