Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox as a trainer?

Default Kitfox as a trainer?

I'm a veteran right-seater who finally has time and finances to begin flight training. I am very interested in the Kitfox, new to this forum, and I was wondering what the consensus is regarding the Kitfox's utility as a potential student trainer. Is it too fast, quick-handling or unforgiving for a student pilot? Is anyone willing to recommend a particular model or engine size/power?
    Forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question. If the Kitfox isn't recommended for training, I would be interested in hearing opinions on what other homebuilts might fulfill the trainer role.

Best regards to all forum members,
    Scott

Default Re: Kitfox as a trainer?

Motorhead,
    Congratulations. I think the following link will answer most of your questions and provide you with some direction on where to begin.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...imary+training

Best Regards,
    Kebo

Scott. One of the most successful new flight schools in the country is using the Model 7 Super Sport Kitfox exclusively in Boise, Idaho. Yes the Kitfox can and is a great training aircraft. Why not have fun while you learn?

Stick & Rudder is a sponsor on our site and has trained many of our members.
    Check out their website and you'll see the business model for success in this economy for training people to fly fun aircraft.
    I believe I heard of another school about to use the Kitfox and this type training formula out in Vermont. Students love the training and they get to fly one of the most exciting aircraft on the market today.

Read all about it here:
    http://www.stick-rudder.com/

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

There is a very good article in the June 2013 issue of the Kitplane magazine.

Explain the difference between the Kitfox model 4 and the Super Sport 7

And you have a historical review of the Kitfox from 1 to 7.

have a good reading!!

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/30_6...376a:&st=email
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

The only problem with doing your primary training in a kitfox, is later on if you fly a cub it will feel like you're driving a truck.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I am right now in the middle of training to be a Sport Pilot with Stick & Rudder in Boise, training in the Kitfox SS7. As others have said, it is very much a sports car of airplanes, VERY responsive and quite a handful for a 68 year old student who has never flown before. My progress is slower than I had expected, but these guys are great instructors. I have full confidence that when I learn to fly this taildragger I can fly any of the other "trucks" out there.

So bottom line IMHO is that it is definitely doable in a Kitfox, but expect slower progress.

Jim

Thanks for all of the input from everyone. I actually spoke to a CFI who I am considering for instruction. Where I live, tailwheel CFIs are becoming scarce. We still have to talk some more, but I got a good first impression of him. The plane I'd be learning in is a J3 Cub. !

Like Jim I got a chance to fly with Stick and Rudder last week in Pauls 914 Kitfox SS. I just have to say flying a Kitfox is an eye opener compared to the J3 that I have been training in. I flew the J3 again yesterday and it is a truck compared to the Kitfox. The training that I got at Stick and Rudder was top notch! I plan on going back to Boise before my plane is ready to fly.

Scott