Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Pilot tips

Default Auto Pilot tips

All,
    I recently solved a problem with my auto pilot that may be of use to some. The problem I had was at random intervals (5-20 min) I would get a "pitch servo lost" error which would usually clear after a about 30 seconds. I could re-engage the AP only to wait for it to happen again. As you can see from the pic the pitch servo is located very close to the transponder antenna, moving the antenna solved the problem. The antenna is now on the plate just behind the header tank and I have not "lost" the pitch servo since

Hope this is helpful to someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Auto Pilot tips

Dorsal, this is a good one, I will put that in my notebook!!!
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Hey Dorsal,

I have reached the point in my build that I need to figure out where to locate the elevator AP servo. I really like where you installed yours but not sure if it will work for me. My seat pan has the little storage area under the seat bottom. My question is, does your seat pan have the storage compartment or not? I’m trying to keep as much weight forward as possible because I have extended the baggage area.

Fly safe!
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

I can tell you that that location is no good unless you notch out a segment of the under seat compartment. I considered it but placed mine behind the seat.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I also considered notching the bottom of the seat but just can’t commit to that. Do you have any pics of your install for the pitch servo Eddie?
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Joe, If you put autopilot in the forum search box, there are some pictures of different autopilot installations to give you some ideas. On my Series 5 , I needed all weight aft (IO-240 up front) so my servos are both aft of the seat. There are pictures under the thread titled "autopilot for a kitfox " from 2016. Bruce N199CL

My recommendation is to buy the autopilot servo mounting kit from Kitfox and follow the instructions. The kit is intended for Garmin servos, but I can vouch that it works well for Dynon servos as well. Dynon has the same bolt pattern as Garmin. It's probably an ISO or NEMA standard.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

My AP was installed many years ago by KF. This spring after an update in April it started to wave the wings back and forth In level flight. Dynon is petty much baffled and told me to adjust the sensitivity so I started dropping from 15 down and it would improved but then started doing it again. I continued to adjust it down and now am at 4 . Has anyone else hard of this before?

Ahh Hell, Mine does that. As of yet, my new build is still tweeking some issues. This is one of them. I have mentioned just days ago on another thread, I have just discovered that Garmin wants the control rod connector to be connected on the inner most hole of the Servo Arm. I was hoping this was the key to rectifying this symptom. Mine seems to work fine unless I hit a small thermal or something. Then the tossing begins. If your dealing with Garmin servos as well (Im on the same update Im sure since I just updated before first Flight March 31 of this year.)
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I am using the dynon . What bothers me is it as been in there for almost 10 years .We flew it 18hours home from NM last year and It never did it. Now after their update it starts up and they cannot say what is casing it. One of our guys at OSH suggested a pitot leak?