Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: flapperon bracket holes in cap strips

Default flapperon bracket holes in cap strips

I am doing the finishing tape on my Series 6, and I'm thinking ahead alittle reaguarding the holes in the aft portion of the capstrips where the flapperon brackets mount to. Do builders open these holes before they paint ? I'm worried about not being able to find the hole during final assembly?

Any input?
    Thanks
    Patrick- Series 6 builder

Default Re: flapperon bracket holes in cap strips

I burned the holes in the fabric with a needle nose soldering iron between the last spray coat of pollybrush and the first spray coat of polly spray.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I did mine after painting and remember it presenting a small challenge to find the holes, once I found one I used the bracket as a template to find the rest.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 04-21-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

We primed the brackets and then attached them between the last UV coat and the top coat. If I recall correctly, we poked small holes in the fabric in the proper locations with a needle while we could still see the holes pre-drilled for the brackets, then used a heated nail to make them the right size for the rivets after all the UV coats were done. The small holes made it easy to locate the right position later.

I am at that stage right now. At the EAA Fabric Covering Course in March, this step was discussed between a couple of us. There were several ideas tossed about. The end result was pretty much the steps that Wiley has outlined above. The point of making sure that the brackets went on AFTER the cross-coats of Poly Spray to insure that UV light did not make it in around the brackets, was "in universal agreement."

In addition to the steps that Wiley has listed, I have labeled my brackets with a fine magic marker under the bracket, as to which wing and their rib position (ie: R-1, R-2, etc L-1, L-2 etc) they go to; to find the exact holes in each rib with the specific bracket that was specifically fitted to that rib.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

I used a small soldering pencil to open all the holes immediately after attaching and shrinking the fabric. Using a flashlight from the farside showed the holes very well.