Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mk 4 cowling

Default Mk 4 cowling

When installing the lower cowling on a model 4 with a nose gear, what sort of cutout (hole or slot) and how to locate it on the cowling? How is it done on a model 5,6 or 7?
    Last edited by mr bill; 04-19-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: Mk 4 cowling

Can't tell you about what is needed for the 4 but I can show you about the 7.

I marked the exact middle of the flat area of the lower cowling (as a reference point) then I made an oval cut out that measured the depth of the nose gear at the point of intersection of the cowling.

Then I fitted the cowling in place and trimmed the opening to provide the clearance and look I wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was not as generous as War Eagle.....smaller cutout....same cowl (S7)

DS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the responses!! Tomorrow I will be adding a slot. Mine will have to be as wide as War Eagles, but somewhat deeper. I will also add the stiffening bar as he did. I am using piano hinge to hold top and bottom together. Todays project was to cutout and hinge the oil access door. Something every day.

Mr Bill.

While I did not install a stiffner originally.....I did put one in where War Eagle did towards the rear of the cowl during early flight testing because of the amount of flexing that occurred without it in that area of the cowl.

DS