Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: model 1 vertical converted to model 4 vertical

Default model 1 vertical converted to model 4 vertical

Has anyone attempted to install a model 4 vertical stab sub assembly on a model 1

Default Re: model 1 vertical converted to model 4 vertical

Anything is possible. Do your homework first.

I have made extensive modifications to the tail on my IV rebuild project. I neither liked the look of, or the performance of the tail on my flying model IV. I have basically added a Highlander tail to my project plane...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 04-16-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here ya go. Model I vertical to model IV vertical. The before and after conversion of Model I taildragger to Model I nose wheel with model IV vertical:
    http://youtu.be/T9QL78qyaWg

You can also look here: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=114
    Last edited by SkySteve; 04-17-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Doug,
    I did a conversion to a model 2 that turned out very similar to the AV8R3400 mod by using a model 4 rudder modified to fit the model 2. We used the old rudder to scavenge parts to go out over the vertical stab in a fashion like the Just aircraft rudder. This modification improved ground handling about 100% and corrected the "neutral Yaw" characteristic, which is really another way of saying the airplane ain't got enough rudder. If you are interested I can send or post photos. Good luck, I think that modification is most certainly worth the time and expense.
    Last edited by tommg13780; 04-17-2013 at 09:29 AM.

here's a better/bigger photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys awesome ideas.

So if i was to use the existing vertical height and shape on my model 1 but do a similar highlander type rudder extending it up over the vertical by 10 inches and widen the base by 2 inches does anyone see a problem with this? Hopefully that would give me better rudder control. AV8R3400 what are the dimensions of your rubber, wideth top and bottom, height and what is the height of your vertical from the fuselage to the trailing egde tip

This isn't the answer anyone is looking for, but I'd rather not give too much detail until I flight test the design. If it flies as I expect, I will post dimensioned sketches of the tail.

I have held the overall height to near the same, added a balance and several inches of chord. The dimensions are not exact, but very similar to the Highlander. To maintain the vertical stabilizer to rudder area ratio, I also added a dorsal ridge from just behind the turtle deck to the fin. I also eliminated the idea of using rod-ends as a hinge.

The elevator got a similar treatment and a trim tab (servo operated) to account for the lack of elevator authority at low speed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

tommg. did you mod the small vert or enlarge the rudder to fit over the vert top contour ? I have realized that my 1050 needs some changes to the tail since I first flew it . my plan was to mod mine to a model V tail but haven't been able to take the plane out of service for that long , having too much fun .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck,
    My model 2 vertical stab was unchanged. The modified model 4 rudder is 10" taller and 4" more in chord dimension. I believe your 1050 stab and rudder are 4" taller than the model 2. You may get satisfactory results by increasing chord dimension with existing height. That would reduce time and expense by a large amount.