Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanks and fabric questions

Default Re: Tanks and fabric questions

I'm sure I read about this somewhere, but haven't had any luck searching for the answer now... my tanks sit with the top surface just about the thickness of a wing rib cap-strip down from the level of the top surface of the ribs. Is it necessary to fill the top surface area of the tanks with something like Super-Fil so that they are level with the top of the ribs before covering? Will the fabric shrink down & touch the tanks with that much of a gap, if I don't do that? Also, I'm wondering if that will present a problem with the trailing edge of the Laker leading edge if the surface of the tank doesn't touch & support it initially.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

My tanks were level with the top of the rib capstrips. The Laker Leading edge lays right on top of the tank. I used super fill to fether the edge of the laker leading edge.

John,
    I would suspect that the fabric over the tank would lay essentially like it would over any of the other wing bays with the exception of the missing rib capstrip. What I did in that situation was to create a false capstrip using a rib dimensioned plywood strip to fill most of the space, then using Micro to build up to slightly above the capstrip level and then sanding to exact level with sandpaper glued to the center of a wood board. After covering it looked like a normal bay. The only issue might be the filler neck. You might need to glue the fabric to the tank surface there for filler cap clearance.

Back in the day, your situation was my preferred situation because the tank top was not really very flat and it would contact the fabric in random areas. On many airplanes after the Polybrush coat on the fabric, the fabric would bond to the tank top where it touched and there would be a definite marbleized pattern - random adhered areas adjacent to random non adhered areas - that continued to the final finish.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thank you, Lowell! That's exactly what I needed to know. I had thought of using the 1" wide strip of plywood , and that will work out just about right. I'll sand as necessary. With the Laker leading edge I'll still have a large area of glued down fabric where I won't be rib lacing, and then I'll also have the trailing edge area laced. I'll feel good about that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

This might sound a little you know what, but to make the whole thing visibly consistent I cut short - one inch - lengths of rib lacing cord and glued them to the false rib capstrip at the right locations to mimic rib lacing. But that's just me.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    This might sound a little you know what, but to make the whole thing visibly consistent I cut short - one inch - lengths of rib lacing cord and glued them to the false rib capstrip at the right locations to mimic rib lacing. But that's just me.
    I know of at least one other builder who did the same thing, & I respect & admire attention to detail like that. Thanks again, Lowell!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Bill and I installed the leading edge on the wings for my newest
    SS this past weekend. Fortunately the tanks were about level
    with the ribs. Will need to use some Superfil to fair every thing
    out before cover.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil, Are the scallops on the leading edge for aesthetic reasons? Or do they have a purpose?

Mostly aesthetic I suppose, but I think it makes a better transition
    for the fabric. Incidently, cutting the scallops took Bill about an
    hour or so, maybe 20 minutes longer than a straight line. We use
    the Harbor Freight tool, hold the part against something solid (1x4)
    otherwise everything vibrates and it doesnt cut. Real advantage
    of this tool is lack of clouds of glass dust.

Phil

That's what I love about this forum, & this group... there's usually always someone who's willing to jump right in & take the time to answer a question to help a fellow builder. Thanks to all who responded to my question!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime