Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desert Fox Squadron 12th Annual Fly-in April 19th-21st

Default Re: Desert Fox Squadron 12th Annual Fly-in April 19th-21st

Sorry, here is another picture from flyin,sorry I did not get all the plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pictures. I was there and checked my camera after I got home and sadly, it apparently sat on the seat most of the time.

The "lucked out Kitfox" was mine and the reason it was in the hangar was because it needed repairs. We stopped at Shoshone, CA at the Southern edge of Death Valley for mogas, and after several trips to the close by gas station for fuel we were ready to depart - except! I had absolutely no right brake.

Hal MacGyver - just kidding about the last name - jury rigged a fix that got me to Thunder Ridge. It seemed at the time that there was excessive wear on the rotor and wear on the visible brake lining. He suggested we needed a shim between the brake piston and the pad. He estimated an eighth of an inch might do it. Someone took apart their Leatherman, and Hal put the not quite eighth inch thick blade between the piston and pad, added some RTV and a two loops of safety wire and off we went.

This was the theory. I installed a Matco parking brake valve that gave me problems from the get go. I probably never quite had a free brake on the right side that resulted in the wear - 46 hours at the time. Then it hit me. I had the exact same thing happen with my first 1993 kit without the actual failure. Back in the day while visiting the guy that loaned me his hangar for my flight testing, he walked over to my airplane and picked up something on the ground under one landing gear leg and asked if it was mine. It was a piece of the brake lining - one end and half a rivet hole. I called Matco and they said they had modified the composition of the pad and I needed new ones. Go plus fifteen years and I have a 1992 kit recently completed. Same linings same result. When we took everything apart, the only thing on the inside pad were the three brass rivets. Those things like to crack and given enough time the pieces apparently will find their way out. If anyone ever gets to Shoshone, you will probably find a piece of an early Matco lining laying on the ground.

For those that might be working on that vintage project - caution.

The best part of the Story was the help. Stan, our host, got busy and within a few minutes he had scoured his neighbors spare parts bins and found a couple of perfectly fitting linings. He had the rivet squeezer and in an hour everything was good as new.

Gismos, sorry I missed talking to you. Then again, maybe I did but didn't connect the user name to the real you.

Home now safe and sound but this time the left brake locked on landing - same parking brake. No problem with the landing, but very difficult turning right not to mention difficult simply taxiing straight. Got work to do. Did I mention my radio failed on the way down as well. Stan loaned me his handheld for the return - owe him a lot.
    Last edited by HighWing; 04-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the photos and stories guys. Looks like another great fly-in, as always! Got to love the partial built plane without wings. Maybe you don't have wings on her, but looks like you brought along your own extra air ... (Tank) hanging underneath!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have the wing and tips done! Primed and has been rigged. I started approx this past nov. I had double knee replacement 3 months ago, slowed me down for 10 days, then back at it. I was back flying my RV6a 2 1/2 weeks after surgery , after all, the doctor said I could not drive for 6 weeks, nothing about flying! Lol I am pulling ff off and will start covering fuse this week. What paint did you use on the yellow bird, looked great! My wife and I enjoyed the folks, we are from southern Virginia but live in Burbank ca.

Oops, found another photo

I got there late and this one was leaving, only got his tail. Lol

I thought this photo was posted from flyin, but I guess not

Quote Originally Posted by gizmos View Post
    What paint did you use on the yellow bird, looked great!
    If you are talking about the yellow and white Model IV, it was Aerothane, insignia white and lemon yellow. The yellow and blue IV is my neighbor. I think it is aerothane as well.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thank you Stan and Cara for your wonderful hospitality! We had a great time seeing everyone and hangar flying. It's a great group of people and we appreciate all you and others do to get us all together.
    Chuck and Bev Buchholz
    N825CB
    Chandler, AZ

Just received this link from Cara Foster courtesy of Guy Buchanan. He took some great photos of the DFS fly in.

Thanks Guy. Much appreciated.
    Check out all 4 pages of Guy's photos.
    http://smu.gs/10etKpa

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear