Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Purchasing the Kit as I build.. anyone doing this?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Purchasing the Kit as I build.. anyone doing this?

Hi Greg,

Welcome aboard! We have spent some time in NS and love it....sometime hope to get to PEI and Labrador in the future.

Anyway, people use many different strategies for getting their planes done. If cost is a factor (was a big factor for me too) it is sort of a catch 22.......If a person buys it all at once it will likely be cheaper in the long run because everything seems to get more expensive with time; if a person needs to spread it out over time to mitigate the annual expense it will likely be costlier in the long run.

Since you are in Canada, exchange rate may play a factor and the loonies are relatively strong compared to the US dollar right now...something to consider.

In terms of getting one's project done, it helps to have most of the basic kit because if a person can't do one thing because of the weather, a person can tackle something else.

If at all possible I would consider getting the fuselage, tail and wing parts together and leaving the engine and electronics till later.

Personally my strategy to keep the cost as low as possible was to get the whole works at once to avoid future price increases, got the slow build wings and ditched the powdercoating in favor of a bare frame which I could sandblast/epoxy/aerothane (sweat equity on that relatively dirty job). When it came to instruments I stayed with the basics and got good used instruments wherever possible.

Most of all a person has to think this through to decide what is right for them.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul, MN
    Last edited by Dave S; 04-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.