Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Camlocks: Does Size Matter?

Default Camlocks: Does Size Matter?

I'm installing an oil inspection door in my cowling and decided to use camlocks to hold it closed rather than the latch provided with the kit. When I called Aircraft Spruce to order camlocks I found out there are multiple sizes! What size stud and receptical should I use on the oil inspection door?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Camlocks: Does Size Matter?

Steve,

The camlock studs vary in lenght depending on the total thickness of the panels you are intending to fasten.

They also differ in materials....stainless steel are more expensive and I believe Kitfox normally uses the corrosion resistant Cadmium Plated parts.

I don't know that all oil door/cowl assemblies ever made are the same thickness - best to measure yours and refer to the selection chart on ACs website (scroll down on the page for the chart and directions)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...camloc4002.php

I am sure John M could help you with the parts if you can give him your model/serial number.

DS

All the cam locks on my classic 4 are 2600 series. If you want those, you need to look at a different chart for the thickness.

This chart for winged http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...oc2600wing.php

If you want philips use this one http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...camloc2600.php

Just for comparrison. On my classic 4, the camlocks that go through one layer of fiberglass cowel and a metal fuselage tab are 2600-3 studs.

Those attaching two layers of fiberglass cowel together are 2600-4 studs.

All the receptacles are part number 212-12N (plain rivet holes)

All the retaining washers (one for each camlock) are part number 2600-LW.
    Last edited by t j; 04-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

for the oil service door you probably would want to use a camloc with the butterfly wings . no tools required to check your oil .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Be sure to include the thickness of the retaining clip in your size calculation.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks guys for your input. I went with the 3's and, of course, a couple of other "goodies" as well.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I can relate to this conversation because I have been very frustrated in trying to get proper camlock lengths so that all the heads end up reasonably flush when they are locked. It seems almost every camlock (I am exagerating somewhat) needs to be a slightly different length to look nice. Its because the thickness of the fiberglass cowl pieces vary somewhat along any given joint. I have had to buy new camlocks to replace at least half the ones that came with the kit, and I am not quite done yet. I have had some luck sanding down areas that are too thick to get a better fitup. Cam locks will hold fine even if they are too long, but it looks kind of ugly with the heads sticking out. The other thing that makes getting the length right is allowing for the thickness of the retaining washer-you can't try it out before installing it permanently! They are almost impossible to remove if you get it wrong.

Its a minor issue in the overall scheme of things, so I am not really complaining. I just wish those little buggers weren't so expensive.

Jim