Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covering struts kf5

Default Re: Covering struts kf5

Lowell,

Any idea what the weight reduction is for your method on the lift strut fairings compared to the plastic coverings? I have the kit supplied plastic fairings on our plane and they do have a certain amount of heft to them.

THX

Dave S

KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    St PAul, Minnesota

I just weighed a section of aluminum and the total weight is about 4.5 lbs. for the aluminum and My best estimate is that it takes about ten ounces of foam.

I also have several sections of the PVC material and also just weighed a section of that and it came in at 3 lbs. 6 oz. That would be times 4 plus the aluminum skins at the V.

Then from there, the micro or Bondo to close out the ends, primer and paint is likely a wash.
    Lowell

I consulted with Michael Selig at UIUC, got an airfoil from their database there.
    Hotwired my own foam cores, bonded them to the struts, layed up a couple
    layers of glasscloth, and spent eons sanding and filling, and they look great!

My plane goes exactly the same speed as all the other IO-240B engined
    kitfoxes ... So I guess they work well enough ...

Would I do it again ...? Probably not. I hate sanding and filling glass.

Regards,
    Jeff

My first thought was to do hot wire foam cutting and fiberglass, but I too HATE sanding. Would be nice and light, but probably no lighter than aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Would I do it again ...? Probably not. I hate sanding and filling glass.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Had to laugh. My first introduction to amateur building was a business neighbor who was building a VeriEze. Lots of hotwire but tons more filling and sanding. Then when I moved my first project to Livermore (LVK) I would see some hangars with white stains on the apron in front of their hangars - the Glasair guys. I decided to never get involved with a plastic airplane for the exact reasons mentioned. Then the neighbor who asked for some help in his Lancair. It was a lot better knowing it was not mine to look at for ever more. I am on a current glass project with a total surface of less than 3 square feet and it has taken at least a month to see any progress. I am putting on the first color coat today. It is fun to look at when done, but wow!
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 03-29-2013 at 04:16 PM.