Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon horn

Default Flaperon horn

I was just wondering if someone could tell me the name of the grey compound that was in the flaperon horn were it slides over, I had to remove them and the stuff almost looks like J B Weld but im sure its probably something aircraft related or would j b weld work, this was off an avid so not sure if kit fox use the same compound even

Thanks Willis

Default Re: Flaperon horn

Most likely 3m Structural Adhesive or Locktite Hysol 9460. Not sure if it's even necessary structurally as(at least on the Kitfox) the horns are held in place in the flaperon spar with stainless steel pop rivets. In this case the coating may be more for separation of dissimilar metals than anything else.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 03-26-2013 at 08:32 AM.

I second George's comment....I would have to guess it must be Hysol
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Willis - based on the age of your Avid kit, it could have been supplied with either 3M Scotch Weld #2216 two-part Epoxy or Hysol 9460, both of which are gray when cured. The answer may be more likely linked to when the kit was assembled, ie. kits often sit for years without progress and materials with expired shelf lives often replaced. Based on the age of your Avid and the build history as I understand it, I would suspect Hysol was the adhesive used. JB Weld plus the rivets **should** provide all the strength necessary in this instance, however, I personally would use Hysol if at all possible. It is so darned expensive, maybe you can just bum a big dollop or two from a building buddy rather than buying a full quart kit?
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks alotEveryone for the replies, Doug ,the beast is taking shape ill try and post some pictures one of these days

Thanks Again

You can purchase HYSOL 9460 IN 50 ML tubes for about $20. Contact Kitfox Aircraft.