Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Checking In!

Default Re: Checking In!

I'm getting a little fed up with Lockwood, this is my 2nd order with them and for the second time a whole week has gone by without them shipping my parts. Last time it took 3 weeks to ship and I got my parts 3 and a half weeks late! I cannot wait this long to get new Jets, anyone know of a better place to order 2-stroke Rotax parts in the southeast.

So to answer the question no, the carbs are not back to stock because I am still waiting for my In-Stock jets to ship.

The stock Mikuni pump is not adjustable, but the fuel regulator the aircrafts builder added is . The previous owner told me this pump had to be regulated to 3psi, he was very adament about that. I have no way of getting the part number off the pump itself without drilling a bunch of rivets, its hidded behind a custom heat sheild bracket.

The spark plugs look normal according to the NGK plug charts, a little light tan, grayish color with some 2-stroke oil buildup around the outside, they seem to be burning correctly.

GSC told me to use the 19 degrees of pitch and see what happens, they have other kitfox owners who have had to use 18 degrees of pitch to hit the correct RPM numbers

Give LEAF a try. They are in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area and I do a lot of business with them. Very friendly and knowledgeable tech people there.

An excellent resource to call upon.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

thanks I will give them a call. I've called Lockwood probably 5 times in the past couple weeks and I keep getting the same answer "oh, it should ship tomorrow"

GSC blades - might vary a bit but the usual is a 68" tapered tip some have urethane leading edge and some do not but pict should be about the same.

You never did answer what ratio that you have-- most were 3 to 1

This last ower seems to know more than the rest by the sounds of it -- or at least he thinks that he did. The fuel regulator thing is hogwash..... it might have been a bandaid for some other issue.- WHO KNOW what some think !!

I have a GSC 68" in shop - I should measure pitch on it to give you an idea........ I pretty sure they work around 15 to 16.5 degrees it i recall.......
    Are you using a GSC gauge?

It really is not rocket science.

Dave

yes its a 3:1 gearbox and it is a GSC 68" 3-Blade prop, it is a Taper Speed Tip version with Urethane Leading Edges and Blade Roots. Rick at GSC told me the Taper Tip does not work nearly as well on the Kitfox as the standard blades. He thought that has something to do with it.

The GSC protractor couldn't be easier, I simply zero it on the hub, slide it down the blade and take a couple of readings, readjust if nessecary, re-torque and take a couple more readings to verify the pitch before I start the engine..

The actual recommended prop pitch from GSC is 12-14 degrees. I do know of other kitfox owners having to use 18 degrees of pitch and so did Rick at GSC. In fact he said some 582's in a pusher configuration have to use 20-25 degrees.
    Last edited by Rmendler; 06-02-2013 at 09:31 AM.

I did mention the noise to Rick at GSC and I also told him about the hub halves being awfully close together. I don't recall him saying anything about it though. I was just told to torque to 100 in - lbs and re-adjust the prop pitch for 6,200RPM